All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raisin bran
      #24966 - 10/30/03 12:47 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

Is raisin bran okay to eat? I see alot of stuff on oat bran. How are they different?

How much soluble fiber should I take in to get relief? I find that I still need to add metamucil to my diet or I just won't go. I take citrucel 3 times/day, and then the metamucil 1 per day (night time) as it gives me gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raisin bran new
      #24968 - 10/30/03 12:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Raisin bran is based in isoluble fiber--oat bran is based in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber is the safe IBS fiber! That is the difference. So, I would stay away from raisin bran...and from raisins for that matter!

The more soluble fiber you get, the better. Keep it up with the supplements and drink tons of water--it sounds like you're doing an EXCELLENT job!

Hope this helps

Happy Thursday!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#24975 - 10/30/03 02:13 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I eat both raisin bran and raisins but only a few times a week, too much like 3-4 days in a row will upset me. I am IBS C and find that the extra insoluble fiber is helping in keeping things moving! I would try a bowel and see what happens, just remember too much of a good thing can be bad!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#24976 - 10/30/03 02:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - oat bran is much safer. Raisin bran does have a ton of insoluble fiber from wheat bran, and wheat bran tends to be one of the most difficult forms of insoluble fiber for IBS. Try mixing a small amount of raisin bran into oatbran, oatmeal, or cream of rice.

Also - Citrucel and Metamucil are both soluble fiber. If Metamucil gives you gas/bloating, stop using it and increase your Citrucel.

Try blending fresh fruits into smoothies for a safe way to get insoluble fiber, or blending veggies into a soup or pasta sauce.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24997 - 10/30/03 09:10 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I agree with Michele. I love bran muffins, and used to eat them religiously before my IBS got worse, but now I only let myself have one about once a month as a special treat, because wheat bran doesn't always settle the best with me, either. I think it completely depends on your body and what it tolerates, and you need to find out what works for you. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#24999 - 10/30/03 09:28 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

My problem is chronic constipation, that's why I've been eating raisins, figs, and prunes. I could eat an entire box and I would still have to take metamucil and citrucel to get a b/m. So those dried fruits are bad for us?

#25025 - 10/31/03 08:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't think they are bad for you at all! Since you are C you probably can tolerate a lot more of the insoluble fibers, like me. I wouldn't eat them everyday, try your fruit one day and bran the next and maybe try some hummus and pita bread. I LOVE raisins and strawberries, I'm ok if I eat them every 2-3 days, if I eat them everyday my tummy hurts worse. On the days I don't have either of them I will have a salad ot wheat pita bread with hummus. Maybe try mixing soluble with insoluble. This sounds weird but for lunch I will boil a potatoe, dice it up with some red and green beans and toss it with a little garlic vinagerette, add some spieces like parsley and its pretty yummy! I also love red beans and rice. The beans give you the insoluble fiber you need and the rice/potato gives you the soluble buffer. For me it has a lot to do with the combination of foods I eat. Be very careful about overeating that is a huge trigger for me.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Raisins new
      #25035 - 10/31/03 09:09 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I would be careful, though, about the raisins. Lucky for Michele, she can eat them and have few problems. I am also IBS-C and can't tolerate raisins at all. Beans also give me a lot of gas (as they do most people) so I'm not a big bean person.

It is different for everyone, however. My advice would be to try it, and if it gives you problems then you know they won't work for you in the future. Do try it with lots of soluble fiber first, though. Maybe have a bowl of oatmeal and toss some in there.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2703

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review