All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does Drinking Rice/Soy Milk help to bind like Rice does?
      #23937 - 10/19/03 08:39 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Tks.

Marnie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does Drinking Rice/Soy Milk help to bind like Rice does? new
      #23938 - 10/19/03 09:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Marnie - Rice is not "binding" in the sense that it is not constipating. It's high in soluble fiber, which normalizes bowel function from either extreme (diarrhea and constipation). If you're not clear on how soluble fiber does this, check here web page

So, since soy and rice milk are not high in soluble fiber, they will not normalize constipation or diarrhea. They are good for IBS because they are safe, low fat forms of protein that are much more tolerable than dairy milk.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Does Drinking Rice/Soy Milk help to bind like Rice does? Tks Heather & new
      #23943 - 10/19/03 09:45 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Please read my more recent post re why a nausea med. would work better than Librax which had worked well in the past.

On the Rice Milk.....love it, Rice Dream, think you like that brand too! Thought that MAYBE the milk fr. the rice would help as rice is SUPPOSED to from what I think they call the BRAT diet.... Bannanas, Rice, Applesause & Toast. I am OHHHHHHHH so familiar with that

Marnie

Re: Does Drinking Rice/Soy Milk help to bind like Rice does? new
      #23955 - 10/20/03 02:53 AM
Ian

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi Heather,

could the soy milk have a "binding" effect because of the calcium it contains? It certainly seems to have helped me since I started drinking a glass every morning with breakfast.

Ian

Now that is an interesting point... new
      #24006 - 10/20/03 12:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I hadn't thought of that. You could be onto something....

Soy milk does really vary in its calcium levels - most brands fortify it. So people could pick and choose a type that has more calcium if they want it, or avoid it if they don't.

Tofu is almost always really high in calcium, because they actually coagulate the soy with a form of calcium. Have you noticed this effect from tofu as well?

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Now that is an interesting point... new
      #24072 - 10/21/03 03:50 AM
Ian

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi Heather,

I haven't got around to trying tofu yet, but it is on my list of "foods to try" - along with several dozen other foods. <smile>

Best.

Ian

Re: Now that is an interesting point... new
      #24438 - 10/25/03 09:13 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Not all tofu is coagulated with calcium--read labels. Some of it is coagulated with magnesium, among other things. In fact, the tofu I can find here in Nashville varies wildly from brand to brand.

Seriously? I never knew that! Thanks Tess!! -nt- new
      #24466 - 10/26/03 12:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6031

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review