All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
from anti-depressants to Pepto Bismol
      #220567 - 10/20/05 05:06 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

OK, if anyone remembers ... my symptoms have been so unfailingly bad I decided to go to a different GI and get a second opinion. He wanted to do a second colonoscopy but kept telling me I was depressed. After the colonoscopy he said that nothing was wrong and that I just needed to get on anti-depressants and I would probably be fine.

Soooo, I got a copy of the letter that the GI sent to my doctor. Guess what? There is NO mention of depression whatsoever! NO mention of going on anti-depressants! He says that based on my symptoms that I have post-infectious IBS and that he recommends taking Pepto Bismol every day.

WTF?????? What happened to my depression??????

So here is what's interesting. He mentions the results of my biopsies. They were normal except one that had "mild focal neutrophil infiltrate." Since I haven't gone to any doctors since my colonoscopy, the only reason why it would seem he'd change his mind would be the biopsies. So was it this one mildly abnormal biopsy that changed his mind? I don't even understand the medical term -- does this maybe mean there was a little bit of inflammation and it looked like it was left-over from a GI infection? I know I should call the office and ask, but I am still too mad about it.

And does Pepto Bismol really do any good for this? He said to take it 1-2 times a day for 3-4 months. I know, I know, I'll do a search for it. I do know that Pepto does ZERO for my D, so if it's supposed to help something, it's not gonna help that!

Ohhhh, I just love doctors...

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: from anti-depressants to Pepto Bismol new
      #220570 - 10/20/05 05:16 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Mild focal neutrophil infiltrate means that one of the pieces of tissues they biopsed had a small localized penetration of white blood cells. So yeah, basically possibly small infection? But obviously not much to worry about since the original doc did nothing.

I can't stand Peptobismol, since I was given it as a kid anytime my stomach hurt, and (TMI alert) after having to clean some up after my youngest brother couldn't keep it down. Try some Immodium for your D instead, just be careful to not make yourself C in the process. Are you on an SFS? The diet's what helped me get rid of most of the D, the SFS is really what's helped me stabilize.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Pepto helps me. new
      #220584 - 10/20/05 06:07 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I take Pepto Bismol at least once a week in the morning and took it daily when things were really unstable. It does help calm things down for me, so I can make it to work.

I had my follow-up appt. with my GI doc the other day. He didn't have a problem me taking it. (I started taking it on my own before I even found this site & the diet.) Anyhoo, he confirmed my suspicion that I have post-infectious IBS.

I agree with Mel! new
      #220616 - 10/21/05 02:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try Immodium instead. Pepto justs turns my stomach!

I have post-infectious IBS too and my biopsies had a similar thing!

I agree too new
      #220629 - 10/21/05 06:03 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I had to take so much Pepto that my tongue turned black and even then I'm not sure that the Pepto helped -- or that I just ran out of poop to expel (sorry for the gross image).

Now if I start to feel an attack soming on I take one Immodium AD. That usually takes care of it. I never take more than one at a time because I don't want to end up constipated. Even if I am in the midst of an attack I take one at a time. It works so much better.

I also agree about the fiber. Best thing for real stability.

Re: I agree too new
      #220643 - 10/21/05 07:23 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I guess I'm just weird then! The taste of Pepto just doesn't bother me.

Re: Pepto-tongue new
      #220646 - 10/21/05 08:00 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Don't you love that black-tongue effect? That's why I quit Pepto.

Kate.

Not only black tongue.... new
      #220653 - 10/21/05 09:22 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

but black colored stool! I nearly drove myself to the emergency once until I found information that said it causes black color in your stool too. Yuck! I will admit though it does help me for some general stomach discomfort (non-IBS) at times.

--------------------

Funny story -- sort of... new
      #220657 - 10/21/05 10:04 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Before I knew I had IBS, we went on a family vacation to Orlando. Our children were the age that they enjoyed the rides -- and we went to Sea World... that kind of thing... in September! It was sooooo hot. We ate so much fast food. Can you picture what kind of shape I was in? I ate pepto like it was water... I think it was only the second morning I woke up to brush my teeth and my tongue was black... I had been sicker than sick... I thought I was dying of something strange... We were at the point of possibly going to the hospital over Pepto tongue... when I remembered reading something about it before.... "oh yeah... I think it might have been on the package" I felt like such a dork!

You should have seen me trying to scrub it off my tongue!!

Re: Not only black tongue.... new
      #220679 - 10/21/05 02:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I was really worried about the black "tar" in the toilet and my paved tongue and thought I was dying or really in trouble.

It takes a lot of baking soda to lose the black tonque effect.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review