All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cream of white rice cereal?
      #213531 - 09/15/05 08:39 AM
Maritimer

Reged: 09/07/05
Loc: East Coast Canada

I bought one that sayd (Corn free, wheat free and gluten free) BUT it is made of Stone Ground Whole Grain white rice. Is it still safe cause it says wheat free or is whole grain white rice unsafe?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cream of white rice cereal? new
      #213649 - 09/15/05 12:11 PM
Maritimer

anyone?

#213668 - 09/15/05 01:37 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

Wheat is not bad. It's WHOLE wheat that you need to be careful with. WHOLE-anything means Insoluble Fiber. Therefore, since the rice is "Stone Ground Whole Grain white rice" it would not be safe by itself. The whole grain is all insoluble fiber. The 'Nabisco' brand cream of rice is totally safe though!

#213697 - 09/15/05 02:46 PM
Maritimer

Quote:

Wheat is not bad. It's WHOLE wheat that you need to be careful with. WHOLE-anything means Insoluble Fiber. Therefore, since the rice is "Stone Ground Whole Grain white rice" it would not be safe by itself. The whole grain is all insoluble fiber. The 'Nabisco' brand cream of rice is totally safe though!

shoot, I just opened this afternoon then I noticed it said WHOLE, darn. I will try the nabisco then. THANKS!

#213699 - 09/15/05 02:49 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sometimes, this can be okay if the IF has already been minimised for you. I ate a brand of rice crackers for ages with good effect before I realised they were brown rice...they were okay for me as the "popping" of the rice made it safe enough for me. The "creaming" might make it safe enough.

But ya, white (ie. NOT whole) is always safer.

PS. Whole grain is NOT ALL IF... new
      #213709 - 09/15/05 03:08 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...it's just high in IF. The SF is still there, but just with more IF than you would get if it wasn't whole grain/rice.

#213758 - 09/15/05 06:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

keeping mind that I am flying high on muscle relaxers right now I have to say...whole grain WHITE rice, creamed, should be very tolerable! Whole grain white rice, oats, corn and soy are not so touchy as whole grain wheat. Cream of rice and wheat are super tolerable breakfasts!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 694 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1095

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review