All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
return of symptoms after probiotic switch (I'm an A)
      #209705 - 08/30/05 07:42 AM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I had been doing really well for about 2 months. Then I ran out of the probiotic that I had gotten from a kinesiologist and got one from the health food store. My naturopath suggested it, since I didn't want to go back to the kinesiologist to get the other probiotic. Her office is closed by the time I get off work. I like the new probiotic because I only take it once a day, but my D has returned since I switched. I don't know if it is because of the probiotic switch or just the stress of returning to work after a relaxing summer break. I'm a teacher. ;o) Has anyone else had problems with a probiotic switch before or is it just stress....or maybe it's both....lolol.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I would bet on the stress... new
      #209716 - 08/30/05 08:01 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

...and the change in schedule. I always have more symptoms during the work week when things are not as calm and relaxed as the weekends.

Part of it could also be psychological dependency on the probiotic. Which probiotic did you switch to? If I recognize it, I may be able to help you with the ingredients to see if contains something that may contribute to the D. Is it dairy free?

I would think it would be pretty good if your naturopath suggested it. IMHO, the kinesiologist may be making money off of the supplement he sells. I once went to a chiropractor for my GI problems and they gave me names of a few supplements to take, but I could only buy them from her. I just don't trust that....when the person referring the product has a vested interest.

Re: I would bet on the stress... new
      #209724 - 08/30/05 08:12 AM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I agree...it's more than likely just the stress. The probiotic I switched to is called FloraSmart. It is a combination of lots of different types. It is fairly similar in content to what I was taking before, only I think it is stronger.
That's true about the selling of products. My naturopath sells certain products but didn't want me to use the probiotic of the company she normally deals with because she said it wasn't really a very good probiotic. She checked around and the FloraSmart was the one that kept being recommended. I think it's probably a better one also because it is coated so has less chance of being destroyed by the stomach acids. The other probiotic was not and I'm sure some of the "good" stuff was probably being destroyed by stomach acids. The new kind should last longer and enter the intestines more intact. So.....all that said....it's probably just the stress! lol

Re: I would bet on the stress... new
      #209742 - 08/30/05 09:02 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It would be easy to test by getting another supply from your kinesiologist (okay, I think I mangled that spelling) and see if your symptoms subside. It doesn't need to be a long-term committment, just a test. Maybe the office would mail it to you. You might even be able to snag a sample free - or buy less than the usual amount - if you explain what happened and say you'd like to try the k's product again.

Just a thought.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 415 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 376

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review