All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Portion Sizes
      #183774 - 06/05/05 06:22 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Hello! I have just read The First Year: IBS and am trying to get my hands on Eating for IBS. In the meantime, I wanted to know an approximate portion size of soluble fiber that works effectively before each meal. For example, should I eat half a cup of rice before a stir-fry, or will a few bites suffice so I can mix the rest of the rice into my stir-fry? Is one slice of bread enough prior to a meal? I am trying hard to lose weight so portion control is a big deal to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Portion Sizes new
      #183779 - 06/05/05 06:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

That of course is up to your discretion. I am of the thinking that current portion sizes are too large. I cannot stomach a whole cup of rice. I go for a half, personally. I like room to breath. 3/4 c. is the most I can tummy. However that is what I would eat if I were just eating rice and nothing else at that feed. I find that my tummy is most comfortable with 1/2 c. Perhaps, though you are more active or accustomed to larger servings/portions. I'm of the mentality that you can always have more later or the next day or something else later. I'm also not exceptionally active. I think it's up to you to determine what is appropriate for you and your lifestyle. I like Sand's post/comment re: eating like a Hobbit. I tend to eat like a Hobbit! Often, I will divide a meal into two feeds, i.e. lunch part a. and b. (eat some of it and then eat a little more later) I do that with breakfast, too!

#183817 - 06/05/05 09:26 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

For most I think it's best to start off the meal with those couple of bites of rice (or rice + stir-fry sauce would probably be ok too) or to have a small slice of bread or something to start the meal, and then to eat the rest of the soluble fiber with the meal. Some find though that when they are just starting the diet they need more, so you'll have to see how much you need.

Also re: portion sizes in general - I try to make 1/2 my plate full of SF (a big baked potato or sweet potato, 3/4 cup rice, 1 cup pasta, 2 slices bread...etc...) Then the other half is usually a protein and veggies. I started the diet underestimating that ratio of SF foods : non-SF foods, but I soon realized that I just need more SF and just a bit less non-SF at each meal. I also start off every meal with a few bits of the SF thing before diving into anything else.

(LOL when my dad cooks for us, usually BBQ, when we're at my parents place, he always is so eager to hear how the chicken/fish he's cooked for me is... 'how is it? how is it?' 'don't know, haven't tried it yet dad!' I always say as I munch away on the potatoes for a few mins... lol)

Anyway, digressing from my little family side-story there ...hope that helps!

it depends on how much you are eating... new
      #183830 - 06/06/05 03:54 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I try to eat at least a few bites of sf, then gradually increase the content of other items of the meal as I go... but portion control is variable... I don't eat a ton at some meals and those may just be a bit of SF alone, or a few crackers and a piece of safe turkey jerky.... but I can eat a bunch at other meals... I know I make pulled chicken into sandwiches so I eat a whole bun covered in chicken on one side, while DH does a ton of chicken poured over his bun and eats it with a knife and fork...

things like that... and carbs aren't bad for you as long as you are calculating your overall calories to include them... one thing to think about- what things are in the stir fry, some veggies are SF too... that helps a LOT.

if you are serious about losing weight- fitday.com has a lot of helpful tools to calculate what you are eating vs what calories you are expending... I need to get back to doing that again..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#183857 - 06/06/05 06:46 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

If you are stable, and the bulk of your meal is safe, then a few bites should be enough -- then mix the rest of it in with your stir fry.

I actually take my SFS as pills and so I break up my dose into 3 parts and take part of it before each meal to help keep me feeling "safe." I still eat a few bites of my soluble fiber food first though.

#183868 - 06/06/05 07:21 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Thanks so much that is so helpful for me! I'm going to try it tonight!
Niki
xxx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 885

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review