All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anti Spasmodics and IBS-C
      #141523 - 01/23/05 11:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do people here on the boards who have constipation and pain find that anti spasmodics help them? I want to take them for the cramps and pain, but I am afraid they will increase the constipation. When I am constipated 6 out of 7 days of the week, the pain is worse, which would make taking the NULev useless if it increases the C.

Since anti Spasmodics slow down the gut, it would make sense that they would cause constipation.

Any thoughts from fellow IBS-C folks?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have the same problem with them new
      #141568 - 01/23/05 03:28 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

...so I don't take them unless I have really bad D which I harldy ever get b/c Im mostly C. Have you tried extra strength tylenol and a heating pad with a glass of peppermint tea. That sometimes does the trick for me. If it doesn't I just curl up in bed and cry.
Good luck.
Chany

I think it's probable.... new
      #141640 - 01/23/05 05:51 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Beth. I'm on Colese and being an A leaning towards D they've been great. I'm only on one a day though as 2 was clogging me up so bad I thought I'd die. It was worse than the d! Ask your doctor about it. C was listed as a major side effect on the packet and said not to take it if you were constipated.

--------------------
Amy

A definate no no new
      #141680 - 01/23/05 06:59 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I took antispasmodics when I had really bad tummy cramps, but had very regular BMs. They were awful and I swear will never take them again!!! They made me C for about a week so had to take laxatives, which started up a vicious cycle of bad BMs. Urghh what a nightmare.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Anti Spasmodics and IBS-C new
      #141756 - 01/24/05 06:05 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Augie- I took Levsin and NuLev- they are the same medicine hyoscamine. They are manufactrued at the same place but marketed under different names. I took the .125 mg and it made me very drowsy, the weird thing was that it only worked if I took it BEFORE the cramps started, once they were there (the cramps) the medicine didn't seem to help. Weird hah?
My GI doctor told me that they do cause constipation. Again I never took mine on a daily basis as I can't function that way at work. If I was having a really really bad day with cramping I would take one- but never continually so I don't know personally if over time they do cause constipation.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

What to do for the pain then new
      #141976 - 01/24/05 12:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So what do people with IBS-C take for pain if anti-spasmodics are out on a daily basis? I HURT!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#141979 - 01/24/05 01:00 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

I'm an A, but more C. I took Bentyl for about a year and a half and for a year I was symptom free...it was wonderful. Then they stopped working. I was never really constipated from them, I actually thought they made my BM's better. Anyway, my GI took me off of them since they weren't helping anymore. I'm sure you're really confused now, but everyone is different and they may not be out of the question for you.

#141985 - 01/24/05 01:10 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

When I was having occasional boughts of D last year (strange because I'm ALWAYS C), the GI doc prescribed me an antispasmotic (can't remember the name). I got so C & uncomfortable that I refused to continue taking it. It made me feel so aweful that I threw away the bottle, thinking there's no way I'd ever need those again.

FYI, being on the Miralax for the past couple weeks has taken away most of my cramping episodes.

Re: What to do for the pain then new
      #141989 - 01/24/05 01:17 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

The only thing to help me get rid of the pain is to have a bm. When it gets that bad, I use an enema.

Before I had meds, I got such horrible cramping that would have me doubled over in pain & have hot flashes. (So I know how you feel)

Have you tried Miralax? or other meds to help you go more regularly?

I tried Zelnorm, too, which was helpful for a while.

Several years ago, I used Lactulose to help me have bm's when I felt too C. I think the Zelnorm & Miralax work much better on me, though.

#141998 - 01/24/05 01:31 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I take Nulev (low dose hyoscyamine) when I know I'm going to eat something that will cause cramps.. thats it. It stops the spasms... but I am an A.. I haven't noticed it causing C, but I normally take it when I would otherwise be having D along with Immodium... of course I have taken it alone... and when I might not get D, but I haven't really noticed it givign me C.. I do know I took some yesterday and it hasn't helped the C my antibiotics have caused along with the cramping, gas and pain that the meds don't seem to cut it for right now

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 747 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review