All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Probiotics Survey-even if you don't take one!
      #128939 - 12/08/04 04:52 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am quite confused as to whether or not probiotics have helped me or not. So, I was wondering if people could share their personal experiences with probiotics. Informations that would be helpful would include:
1. Do you take a probiotic or not
2. Are you a C, D, or A
3. What brand you take
4. How many you take a day
5. When do you take them (with the meal, after the meal, on an empty stomach like maybe 1/2 hour before eating)
6. Do you experience gas or bloating from them or do you think it has helped with gas or bloating
7. Are they helpful with having BM's
8. Where can you buy the product

And any other info you could share

I currently am a C. I take Jarro EPS on an empty stomach before meals one or two times a day. I don't think they are helping with bloat or big time gas or having BMs. But maybe I would be even worse (if that's possible) without them. That's why I am anxious to here from others.

I know some people have reported they cause gas, and I am wondering if this is true from others. I always thought that they could only help me, but if they are causing worse gas/bloat and not helping to have BMs maybe I should save my money, or maybe I am just taking the wrong one.

Thank you to all who participate!!!! I look forward to reading your responses

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics Survey-even if you don't take one! new
      #128943 - 12/08/04 05:14 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

great idea!!!!

I take the brand name
KAl Acidophlius Probiotic-5 Plus DDS-1!!
I take two a day one before luch and one before dinner!! I have found them to be a big help!!! I have some of the most regular Bm than I have had in 4 years!!! That combined with diet change, Gas X and AD's I am pretty stable!! Now If I have an attack it is because I cheat or stress!!! Hope this helped!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Heather new
      #128953 - 12/08/04 05:40 PM
Augie

Thanks for the first response. Is it KAI or KAL? Where do you purchase this.

Thanks again, sweetie! BTW,are you still on Zoloft?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Heather new
      #128960 - 12/08/04 06:41 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Yep i take 100mg of Zoloft every night!!! I wouldn't give it up for anything!!! It took a couple of weeks to realy see a differance but I am so much happier now!!! I

It is called KAL!! ( like L for larry) I buy it at the local Vitiamen store!! It is in the referated section!!!
I hope this helps you!!! I found them to be realy helpfull!!! Good luck hon!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

I'd really love some feedback folks...please help new
      #129046 - 12/09/04 05:36 AM
Augie

I am having problems deciding if they hurt or help. Also, need a recommendation for one that people have found to work. There are a lot of lousy or nonreputable ones out there.

Has anyone tried Primal Defense? Very expensive but promises great results. Even has doctor endorsements on the phamlets.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I'd really love some feedback folks... new
      #129056 - 12/09/04 06:04 AM
Shinshi

Reged: 11/26/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I have tried a number of different probiotics. Unfortunately every one of them caused gas & bloating. I have tried Primal Defense and found it had the same effect on my system. Not everyone has the same reaction however, so you may want to try them and see how your system reacts. They are supposed to be beneficial to our intestinal flora. Good luck!

#129105 - 12/09/04 08:17 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

1. Do you take a probiotic or not I used to for about a month, but fell out of the habit and don't take them anymore
2. Are you a C, D, or A Used to be D, and am now mostly stable but can be A for a week or so, sometimes C for 2 days.
3. What brand you take
4. How many you take a day
5. When do you take them (with the meal, after the meal, on an empty stomach like maybe 1/2 hour before eating)
6. Do you experience gas or bloating from them or do you think it has helped with gas or bloating
7. Are they helpful with having BM's
8. Where can you buy the product HFS

I've heard that the refridgerated ones are better.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#129121 - 12/09/04 08:26 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hi Augie! I have been taking probiotics for about 9 months now. Not sure if they help, but they don't seem to be making things worse and since they are good for the intestinal flora, I keep at them. I take one every night before I go to bed. I have the refrigerated kind - have never experienced any discomfort after taking them. I use a brand called Biocare, which I order from the UK. I am a C (sorry, reading your questions as I go along). Hope this info was what you were looking for. I also take a digestive enzyme before lunch every day. It gives me comfort (and feels as though it is doing some good).

#129151 - 12/09/04 09:24 AM
Okies

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: Oklahoma

1. Do you take a probiotic or not I started taking them this Monday.
2. Are you a C, D, or A I am D all the time
3. What brand you take Natures Sunshine
4. How many you take a day 2
5. When do you take them (with the meal, after the meal, on an empty stomach like maybe 1/2 hour before eating) I take them early in the moring about 1 hour before I take anything else
6. Do you experience gas or bloating from them or do you think it has helped with gas or bloating I have been having gas & bloating before I started them. I dont think they are causing that. I do feel like they are helping. I have felt better each day. ( BUT I am UC not IBS )
7. Are they helpful with having BM's I think that between adjusting my dose of Acacia and taking them I am doing better. The D seems to be forming up some.
8. Where can you buy the product HFS

--------------------
Billie Jo

Shinshi new
      #129187 - 12/09/04 10:32 AM
Augie

Thanks for your response!

Are you sure the probiotics were the culprit? What brands have you tried? I hate that there are no "givens" with this IBS. If something works for one person, it surprises me how it can create such horrible symptoms in another person.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 751 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4767

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review