All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Things that have helped/not helped your IBS
      #125670 - 11/27/04 02:25 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

As we near the end of the year I end up evaluating how things have worked that I have tried. My IBS is pretty stable -- and there are some things that have made all the difference in that -- and there are some things that I thought were going to be miracles that sort of bombed. I thought others could share as well.

On my list of biggest helps -- fiber. I didn't get big results until I started taking big amounts -- I now take 12 grams a day -- but that has made the biggest difference. I also switched from Fiber Choice chewables to Citrucel.

On my list of duds is Reliv. I have one and a half containers of Classic and nearly a whole container of Fiber. I tried the Classic first -- and I can only tolerate it without troubles for 1/2 scoop once a day -- anything more than that and I get really bad gas & bloating. When I added in the fiber I had a full scale attack with D and cramping. I tried the Classic several times at several different doses -- no dice. I can take it at that half scoop once a day -- but that doesn't meet the nutritional needs.... so I'm out over $100 worth of product I can't really use. I think it's the super high doses of vitamin C. Other people have had very good results -- but for me -- it was not my best choice in 2004.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Things that have helped/not helped your IBS new
      #125685 - 11/27/04 04:00 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

GREAT POST!!!

I would have to say the two things that have helped me the most other that diet change has been

1) Probiotic
2) Gas X

The Worst thing I ever did to myself was Taking TO MUCH fiber at once and thought I was going to DIE!!! Once I backed down the dose and started again SLOWLY it has been fine!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: kshsmom *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #125694 - 11/27/04 04:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Post deleted by Augie

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: kshsmom new
      #125709 - 11/27/04 07:50 PM
kshsmom

I take the pills. You're right about trying. We need to keep trying and learning. That's how we know what works and what doesn't.

#125718 - 11/27/04 11:12 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

First I would have to say the diet itself was the greatest thing I have found. I was so happy to find a way to eat that did not make me SICK !!!

The recipes that everyone shares are wonderful to have access to, when I need a chocolate kick, its the ADB's. MMMMMMMM, goooood.

I also found that Acidophillus (sp?) taken at bedtime, is a great way break up the constipation and get it moving. By the next morning, I am able to go, and I feel so much better getting that poison out of my system. I don't take it everyday, just when I need help moving things along!

Stress is my biggest problem, I can be fine, have an anxiety attack and be so C that I feel like I have cement in my colon. NOT A GOOD THING. My friends here are so willing to be supportive on my bad days. I know I can come here and spill it out and they are there to back me up!
What would I do without this board? I would be in a terribly dark place mentally, and I do not want to go back there ever!!!!!

Love this place !!!

#125728 - 11/28/04 05:21 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

FIBER is # 1
diet is #2
gas x is #3 and it wasn't suggested by the doc,
immodium is #4 but I was already using it occasionally...
and lastly- heat or my hyocyamine.. the sleepy side effect makes it only really helpful at night, but its great then for sleepig...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#125759 - 11/28/04 08:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My top 3 helps are:

1. DIET
2. Lexapro (anti-depressant/anti-anxiety)
3. SFS/fiber

I've been lucky in that my mistakes haven't cost me a whole lot of money... mostly just teas I've bought that haven't done diddly-squat for my symptoms. (Like ginger, which tastes nasty in addition to doing absolutely nothing.) My biggest mistake has been my tendency to stop taking my fiber supplement. I get off track, and then I wonder why I feel like crap all the time.

#125765 - 11/28/04 09:07 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

diet
SFS
not cheating on diet!

My antispasmodic cost $60 for a month and gave me no relief at all. Still meaning to start SFS and other supplements.

--------------------
S.

#125766 - 11/28/04 09:07 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

so true- some of the other fiber supplements made things worse- like the metamucil and citrucel.. but the big one is just forgetting or going- oh I can have a treat despite my diet.. and paying for it later... btw... onions=major gas even excessively well cooked, but the flavor isok- so Ic an cook them in things and then pull them out or eat around them!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

You guys are so right -- I forgot to mention new
      #125785 - 11/28/04 10:34 AM
kshsmom

diet & this board -- but that's because I was thinking about new things this year and both of those were from 2003 & not 2004. They are still the best things I do for my IBS though.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9189

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review