All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
College Students??
      #115444 - 10/24/04 05:53 PM

Unregistered

Any college students out there? And if so , what do you recommend eating in the cafeteria? thanks! this has brrn a problem for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: College Students?? new
      #115449 - 10/24/04 06:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Well I'm not a college student anymore, but I'm answering anyway. My IBS didn't hit until my senior year, when I was already living off campus, and I didn't even know that IBS existed so I was not eating Heather's diet ... but I WAS an incredibly picky eater when I was living on campus, and I got pretty creative in the caf.
My caf had a station for eggs, and eggbeaters were always available. Those are a safe option. Have them with toast, english muffins, or bagels. Use margarine if available, not butter. If they don't have egg beaters, just separate out the egg whites and use those.
There is almost always some sort of boneless, skinless, grilled chicken available, either by the sandwich/wraps area, or served in some kind of prepared dish. If your only chicken option is one in a prepared dish, very nicely ask the caf workers if there are any cooked breasts that have not been added to the recipe, and get your hands on those. If you kill them with kindness, they will help you. On days that nothing looked good, I always ate cereal. I've never liked milk so I always ate it dry, which you should do if they don't have soy/rice alternatives. We had a stir-fry station at our caf too, and I ate that all the time, though I'd be careful now with veggies. Plain baked potatoes are always safe -- you can dress them up with ketchup. I'd say that pasta is safe too, as long as it hasn't been coated in oil, which is likely. We used to be able to make our own pizzas, and if you can do that, then just leave off the cheese for a pretty safe snack. Also sandwiches are super safe. Stick to chicken or turkey, with mustard (no mayo, no lettuce, light tomoatoes). Stay away from the ever-popular salad bar, unless you've already had a meal high in SFS. Then you can have a tiny bit of salad at the end of your meal. Just don't go overboard, and use only Fat Free dressing. If you have any kind of Asian options, check those out. Obviously stay away from anything fried or greasy, but rice is great, as are steamed vegetarian dumplings. A good rule of thumb for surviving the caf is to think during the afternoon about what you'd like to have for dinner that night, then go to the caf and make it happen. Sometimes this means getting a piece of chicken from the grilled chicken sandwich area, and topping it with spaghetti sauce from the pasta area, you know? If you can get plain tuna -- not tuna salad -- from the salad bar, you can use it to top some plain pasta for a yummy change. If there are seasonings available, be generous with all kinds of italian seasonings, lemon pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, whateve you like. Think of the caf as a grocery store, and don't be afraid to take a little from here, a little from there, and put together your menu. You don't have to be limited to the combinations they suggest. If there are hard-boiled eggs at the salad bar, you can always just throw out the yolks and eat the whites with margarine on toast. Yum!
I know that the IBS diet feels really limiting when you have to pass up a lot of options in the caf, but remember that everyone, even those not on a special diet, finds the caf repetitive and boring, and ends up eating the same thing every night.
On the nights when you go to the caf and there is NOTHING to eat, go home and make some Ramen in your microwave. It's not much of a gourmet meal, but most of the varieties are safe (the chicken-based or seafood-based ones), and it only takes a few minutes. I only use half the seasoning pack though, because there is SO MUCH sodium in those things, I feel like I'm retaining the atlantic.
I hope this helps -- a lot of us have gone through this and I'm sure a lot of people have some really good suggestions.
Best,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

And BEWARE OF ... new
      #115451 - 10/24/04 06:24 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

-the never-ending soda fountains -- not safe!
-the fat free frozen yogurt -- it's still dairy, and unsafe!
-mashed potatoes -- probably full of butter and fat
-french fries, chicken fingers, anything fried -- you know they are bad for you!
-raw veggies in sandwiches, wraps, and stir-fry

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

what a great reply new
      #115453 - 10/24/04 06:57 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

that is such a great reply!!! so helpful!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#115457 - 10/24/04 07:06 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

my old school had burrito nights.. which were often safe if you avoided the cheese and sour cream. A lil bit of beans, chicken, rice, and salsa rolled into a nice tortilla will def do the trick!

--------------------

wow! new
      #115458 - 10/24/04 07:07 PM

Unregistered

wow thanks so much!! that was so helpful. wonderful ideas. I think we have most of those things. And I think bananas are good and I will also consider stashing some pria bars in my bag each night just in case. thanks somuch!

Re: wow! new
      #115468 - 10/24/04 07:35 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I have to admit that I try to avoid the food as much as possible -- I live off-campus, so it's easy to bring things in that I know will be safe. However, if I'm there and need food I find that either a bowl of minestrone soup, california rolls or a low-fat vegetarian burrito works well. It is hard to find things though, I feel your pain.

Re: wow! new
      #115475 - 10/24/04 07:43 PM

Unregistered

Aww thanks. Ya it's definitely tough. I mean I honestly wouldn't mind just eating what I keep in my townhouse. But then you tend to miss out on the social aspect of going to the cafe. And I hate to be a party pooper by just eating a banana and some bread haha! I guess it's just part of what we are dealing with. And in the end, I much rather feel good than worry about what others think of that I am eating

#126420 - 11/30/04 03:17 PM
EllieDot

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Thanks a lot, your post was a big help to me. I just joined the site, and was asking about tips for eating at college. I am at a small school, and the cafeteria is tiny, and has little options. They rarely offer even basic things like plain grilled chicken, plain baked potatoes, or plain rice, which makes things difficult. I've spoken with the chef and the manager, as I am already on a lactose-free diet, and they cooperate to the extent that they check when I ask if something contains certain ingredients, but as far as making any special meals, they have told me that they can't do that. They have a salad bar, a sandwich bar, the grill, cereals, and the hot entrees they make as their main meals. I've been trying to stick to turkey sandwiches with lettuce and cucumbers on white bread, fruits, and vegetables when they aren't cooked in butter. They usually cook their pasta in oil, and salads haven't been settling very well in my tummy. But hopefully I'll be able to find something to eat... my Mom keeps complaining about all the weight I've lost, but with being sick, and not knowing what to eat, and being limited so much, it's hard. Thanks for the advice!

#126425 - 11/30/04 03:25 PM

Unregistered

I don't eat cafeteria food b/c I don't live on campus. But if you didn't want to eat the food and had ways of making your own, I know my brother always got sick on the food at his college because he was a vegetarian and got a doctor's note to say that it made him sick and they let him out of paying for the plans and all. Otherwise, I'd see what you can do about letting them know your situation and asking that they make some accomodations for you. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 976 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review