All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Whats your safest food??
      #110073 - 10/03/04 06:22 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was wondering if any of you had a food that you could eat a ton of and never get sick??? I can eat angel food cake all day long with no problems but I was wondering if there was anything else I could try. Im eating WAY too much angel food cake because its the only thing I can grab and feel totally safe with! Any ideas? I want to gain weight more than anything right now and Im dying for some new ideas! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whats your safest food?? new
      #110075 - 10/03/04 06:28 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Baked Lays!!!! I love them and snack on them all day . RKT are great to!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#110078 - 10/03/04 06:33 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

chicken breast, turkey burgers never get me sick at all. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

bananas; and rice with cooked baby carrots- my comfort food-nt new
      #110087 - 10/03/04 06:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#110112 - 10/03/04 07:59 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I'm good with the fat-free saltine crackers, but the fat-not-free ones kill me

Also plain white rice with a little salt is always good, unless I'm in the middle of an attack.

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#110113 - 10/03/04 07:59 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Pretzels! Soft pretzels and hard ones. I try to buy saltfree fat free ones when I can. pretzels are also high in calories, so I *try* to not eat as much, I am trying to find something different to keep me going during the day...
But if you are trying to gain weight, that can be a good thing! Same things go for bagels, supersafe for me, but high in cals.
do you like advocados? I know Sarasage said her doctor told her to eat them to try and gain weight (she's vegan) I heard that they can cause you probelms if you eat them too frequently though (even for non ibsers)
baked tostitos and guacomole- YUM!
If you can handle tomato sauce (i only can in small doses)
try bulking up on pastas.
Do you have heather's cookbook? maybe you could try baking her breads and cakes?
Good luck, sorry for the rambling!

--------------------
-Sheri

#110164 - 10/04/04 04:02 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there. I'm trying to gain weight too. I have been told by a nutritionist to eat more things that have good fats in them, such as advocados. If you eat meat, she suggested salmon.

I have been taking a protein powder that I mix in with my soy smoothie and fibre. It's 100% safe and should cause some weight gain.

I also try to have Tofu cutie "ice cream" treats and make that AD brownie recipe often (modified since I don't eat eggs).

The main thing the nutritionist told me is to increase my calories. I think she said I'd need an extra 500 A DAY to start gaining a 1lb or 2 a week. It's hard to do, obviously, as we can't eat pizza or junk food that's loaded with calories. I try to snack on Luna bars and other things that are a tad higher in calories. I also make sure that my drinks have calories in them and aren't just water. I now bring a large container of chocolate soy milk to work with me every day. (I actually spilled it all over my desk on Friday though! - Oops!).

Good luck!

It's a tie between chicken and potatoes... new
      #110180 - 10/04/04 05:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I usually brush chicken breasts with mustard, bread them, and bake them... and then I make oven fries with the potatoes... it's a tasty combination and it NEVER bothers me, no matter how much I stuff myself on it. I end up eating it almost every night because of that.

#110190 - 10/04/04 06:04 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Like you I can eat angel food cake for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and every snack inbetween . I can also eat past with a little vegan margarine, rice, and sourdough bread. If you're looking for a quick snack to eat on the run, lightly salted quaker rice cakes are also really safe.

Meg

#110225 - 10/04/04 09:15 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thank you for all the suggestions! I do have Heathers cook book and I make a lot of her recipes - I do ok with most of them but I cant eat a ton of them like I can angel food cake. I havent tried eating avocados but I want to. I also want to try oven fries cause I love fries! Pretzels sound yummy too - I never thought of eating the soft ones - are they usually IBS safe? Well thanks again for all your advice I appreciate it sooo much!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1019 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19494

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review