All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kind of a weird/silly question...
      #88687 - 07/11/04 06:53 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Has anyone ever had yoga trigger a full-blown attack?

I did my first yoga workout a few days ago... I'm a complete beginner, so it was a very gentle workout, and only about 25 minutes. A few hours later, I had one of the worst attacks I've ever had - I don't normally get much pain with IBS, but the pain was mindblowing, and it triggered a panic attack that wasn't too pleasant either.

I didn't eat anything that day that could have been a trigger - in fact, I'm eating the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet again. Was it just a coincidence? I'm trying to tell myself that it was, because I was going to do my workout again today, and honestly, I'm scared to death.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yikes, no, that's awful new
      #88883 - 07/11/04 08:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I am so sorry to hear this! Have you ever had exercise in any other form trigger an attack?

I haven't had yoga do this - though I have had vigorous exercise in other ways (like jogging) bring on an attack when I was already touchy or just recovering from earlier problems. But yoga has always been helpful for me, not harmful.

Were there any specific poses that seemed to affect your GI tract (lots of twists, maybe?). I'd tell your instructor, and see what he/she says.

Is there anything else that could've prompted the problem?

I do really, really hope this was just a bizarre coincidence. It seems so likely that it was, but I understand your fear to try again.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Hi Heather... new
      #88914 - 07/12/04 06:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Thanks for responding! I have no idea if exercise in any other form would trigger an attack - this is literally the first exercising I've done in at least 10 years. Well, ok, not entirely true - I used to do a lot of hiking - but I didn't have full-blown IBS at the time, so I can't say hikes triggered anything.

Unfortunately, I don't have an instructor to ask - I'm working from a tape. But there weren't many twists. I'm so out of shape that all I could do was the warm-up...

Anyway, thanks for your input. There was literally nothing else that could have been a trigger, but I'm hoping it was just a coincidence. I still haven't worked up the nerve to try it again.... maybe today.

Ahhh... my guess is it was just the sheer physical exertion... new
      #89048 - 07/12/04 11:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

since your body was totally unused to that, you really gave it something new to deal with. I'd wait till you're feeling better, then try the routine again, but maybe go at 1/2 the pace or just do 1/2 the routine. Any type of physical exertion can rev up your GI tract just like it revs up your muscles - I think you just threw your body a curve it wasn't expecting!

You might also try working in daily walks, and alternating that with the yoga. Yoga can be a really intense workout even when it doesn't seem that trying. I'd just slow down, go gradually with things, and I think you'll end up seeing a lot of improvements from it and no more problems.

And good for you for getting back into exercise after 10 years. That is fabulous!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Ahhh... my guess is it was just the sheer physical exertion... new
      #91397 - 07/18/04 07:58 PM
BertL

Reged: 10/31/03

Isn't it rather common that, when you start doing yoga, there could be some temporary reverse effects in the beginning, as the body is forced to try to put things right again? Although, to me yoga (done in the traditional way) is very slow and relaxing and not at all like workout, and I can imagine that some reverse effects will get more severe if you do it fast or try to force the body into new positions (which you should not, but which is difficult to avoid in the beginning).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9482

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review