All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Yoga experts: need suggestions for poses for CFS, please.
      #57580 - 04/03/04 04:19 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi, all.

I would love some advice from anyone who has it.

I'm struggling against Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). I hate it and I will not let it control me. To that end, I need some yoga poses that will
A) increase energy
B) promote deep sleep
Obviously, I don't want both effects at the same time! I'm thinking I need something to do to encourage the sleep since that's a big problem for IBS and Fibro patients (not getting Stage 3 and especially 4 sleep), but I also need something to do to boost lagging energy during the day.

Any thoughts?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm no expert... new
      #57659 - 04/03/04 10:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but all of my teachers have always said that inversions of all kinds are very energizing. Wheel pose is especially good for this (that's a full backbend, hands and feet on the floor) - you could try coming up in to that, holding it for 5-7 breaths, then coming down. Do two or three times if you can.

Headstand is supposed to be very invigorating too - if you can't do one in the middle of the floor do against a wall.

There's actually a neato article in the research library about the shivasana (corpse) pose, and how it was found in a clinical study to be significantly more relaxing than just laying down any old way. That might help you get into a deeper night's sleep.

Also, can't remember if you're doing the hypno program or not, but that seems to lead to just about everyone sleeping like a log after they listen to it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yoga experts: need suggestions for poses for CFS, please. new
      #59982 - 04/10/04 02:53 PM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Sorry...I'm NO yoga expert. But I'm sorry you have CFS! how long have you had it (like when you were diagnosed/how long before you were diagnosed). I don't know exactly how you feel b/c I'm not you although I know things that most people find easy wipe me out for a long time (has been that way since after i got sick once in 8th grade). But sometimes it's not quite as bad as others. But it sounds like you are tired most of the time. I really feel for you. I don't know if I have CFS but I remember several occasions just having to lie on the floor and not get up for a LONG time b/c i just couldn't move I was so tired. So I'm sorry you have to deal w/ chronic fatigue. I'm sending you healing power!!!!!!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

#63196 - 04/20/04 08:33 PM
GumN2

Reged: 04/18/04

Hi jenX!
I have a couple of exercises that should be able to help you.
1. Downward facing dog..
-start at a table pose with your knees and hands touching the ground while your chest isn't...
-next, extend your legs so that your knees aren't bent anymore and stretch your arms out , you should be making a kind of triangle pose with your feet and hands touching the ground.
-you can hold the pose for 3-8 breaths, depending on your comfort zone.
Downward facing dog is helpful for insomnia, BUT also gives a fresh supply of blood to the brain, therefore waking and refreshing you.

Next, is the 2.Standing forward bend...
-begin standing up with your feet on the ground and your hands at your sides.
-then, slowly bend down towards your feet (the point is to lower your head as if you were about to hug your legs)
This gives you energy but also increases flexibility in the back of the legs.

Finally, this last exercise will re-energize you and also strengthen the back muscles.
3.Sun Salutation
-begin with your feet on the ground and your hands at your sides
-next, lift your arms up over your head (try to keep your arms straight) and begin bending backwards.
-the point of this exercise is to feel a good stretch in the back and tummy, not how far backward you can bend.

I hope these exercises help, they've helped me. I've been taking yoga seriously for about 2 years or less now and I feel better and have less pain on my neck, back and shoulders...

#63340 - 04/21/04 08:37 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oooh, I just saw something on the Yoga Journal web site about CFS! Rest for the Weary

It's not really specific, but inversions appear to be good for energy (and low blood pressure - yay!) and the basic restorative poses are good for relaxation.

--AC

thanks! new
      #63387 - 04/21/04 10:13 AM
jenX

i'm going to try to make doing a few postures a priority! it's hard, being so exhausted, but i know i need to just suck it up. i know from past experience how beneficial yoga poses can be, but it's just hard to get in the habit when you're essentially a lazy person.

thanks for the great tips!

--------------------

#63388 - 04/21/04 10:18 AM
jenX

thank you! i skimmed the first page, but since i'm at work and can't goof off (that blatantly), i'm going to have to wait and read this from home... it's a little long. but that's good--- hopefully chock full 'o info.

i really appreciate the help. and Heather said the same thing about the inverted poses. i've really got to just suck it up and do it... i always loved the inverted poses anyway, so it's not like it's a real hardship... i just keep choosing naps over yoga.

--------------------

#63430 - 04/21/04 11:11 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I got a tip from a friend who heard it from one of her yoga teachers: if you're not motivated to do much yoga, just try to get in a single posture a day. It's helped me get closer to a daily practice, although I'm far from perfect!

Restorative poses, particularly with bolsters, might just be close enough to a nap for you...

--AC (a sucker for corpse pose)

I'm a bit of an expert... new
      #63590 - 04/21/04 07:39 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

...I've been studying yoga part-time for about 2 and half years now. I'm not an "expert", but I can tell you that yoga is an EXCELLENT choice for CFS. It's not like other exercise because it doesn't tire you out - it leaves you feeling energized. This is because (pretty much all) the poses in some way stimulate your circulation and all that stress and fatigue that's built up in your joints and muscle fibers.

I'd recommend doing a short but regular routine (i.e. 15-20 mins 3-5 times a week - ideally in the morning right after you get up) of simple sun salutations (including downward dog and forward bend). Also, if you can do headstand it's definitely a good energy one (if not just do half-headstand - put your head in your hands with your crown on the ground and just rise up on your tip-toes but don't try to go all the way).

Most importantly, whatever poses you do, it's really important to focus on the breathing - in general yes, but especially for CFS. I think this would really help you. Deep, deep breathing standing in mountain pose to start your routine, and focus on your breath all the way through. There are also some breathing exercises that you can do just sitting down that really get circulation flowing (just do a google of 'yoga Pranayama' or 'yoga breathing'). Have you tried meditation?

Also I definitely agree with Heather that corpse pose is way more relaxing than just regular lying down! Sometimes when I can't get to sleep I put myself in that position with palms up and all and it usually does this trick!

Anyway, hope some of this is helpful to you and that you're feeling better soon!

a few more poses... new
      #63591 - 04/21/04 07:43 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

ooh I just thought of a few more poses. Cat and dog (I think they are on this site) would be good, as would be warrior - that one always boosts my energy way up and makes me feel so confident! I'm not sure if that one's one here but YogaSite.com has good images of poses, including a nice animated sun salutation!

(Sorry for the 2 posts! )

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43072

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review