All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Yoga is making my pain WORSE, Help!!
      #322524 - 01/17/08 03:55 AM
kristinlea

Reged: 01/17/08

So I was recently diagnosed with IBS-about a month ago. I have been practicing Bikram hot yoga for a year and a half. About 2 months ago, I started experiencing the WORST abdominal pain, cramps, and severe bloating, and diahrea approximately 20 minutes into class. I LOVE this style of yoga and would be devastated if I had to stop. What is causing this all of a sudden? These attack are awful and I don't know what to do. Any help would be so appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga is making my pain WORSE, Help!! new
      #322572 - 01/17/08 02:16 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hey Kristinlea,

Sorr to hear about your discomfort....since you have been doing Bikram now for a year and a half (I'm assuming from your email, without any issues) and the IBS attacks are fairly new (over the last 2 months)... my guess is that since the yoga hasn't changed maybe something about you has.

Are you doing anything differently before class? Eating or drinking? Having something with artificial sweeteners in it? Is your stress level higher? Are you noticing the Pain, bloat, etc after certain postures?

Take a look at what you've been doing both on and off the mat and see if you can identify what might be triggering it.

Have you been able to practice in the past without incident?

Before you give up your practice, let's try and see if you can figure it out first.

Let me know if you discover anything.

Peace,

KK

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#322642 - 01/18/08 01:00 PM
kristinlea

Reged: 01/17/08

I'm not doing anything different before class, no artificial sweetners or anything like that. My stress level has actually lessened, and I've been able to practice for over a year with no problems. I'm so distraught. I'm going to try again tonight and see what happens. Could it be the humidity? Why is it bothering me now?

#322923 - 01/22/08 09:43 AM
maplly3

Reged: 01/22/08

Check the ingredient list to see if the yogurt has Splenda (sucralose) in it. Splenda is a nightmare for most people with IBS, and unfortunately, it's being put in more and more foods. Even many toothpastes and mouthwashes now have it.

Edited by maplly3 (01/22/08 09:47 AM)

#326562 - 03/14/08 03:35 AM
SayNotoGutRot

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: CANADA

A lot of people aren't aware of how intensive Bikram yoga is. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is recently diagnosed with IBS. Maybe switch to a more gentle yoga style ... Hatha. When you are feeling strong again, then you can go back to Bikram. I know it must be disappointing for you, because Bikram is truly the mother of all workouts! Just know that you will come back to it, but honor your body.

--------------------
Eating right is the first medicine

#328050 - 04/09/08 11:20 PM
maggles

Reged: 06/18/03

I had one period in my life, after food poisoning, which was when my form of IBS hit(some classic IBS symptoms, but not the real deal in that there's no C and not many real D episodes- but intermittant morning loose stools, gas, mild but persistant pain, acid reflux, nausea more like SENSITIVE GUT, that comes for weeks of mos (but usually only after eating) and then can mostly go for weeks or mos)...when I could not do yoga regularly. Doing down dog, flowing up and upside down etc seemed to increase nausea, reflux, and gas for me. So I did more "relax deeply" classes at that time did not have inversions for awhile. And at that time walking was a better form of exercise, seemed to lessen my symptoms, also swimming. When I get a serious flare up I will go sit in a jacuzzi or bath or other physically pleasurable things, but not push the exercise. This will pass for you, I'm sure. Sometimes we get so upset over a rough patch it can make it worse- try not to project "Now I'm losing yoga!" or whatever. We don't know the future- you will probably be fine w/ yoga, or you will discover something else you love, too. I now try to just "surf the symptoms," treat them w/ the tools I have, and try to be patient and kind w/ myself and my belly. Even a good cry seems to help release stress and symptoms, esp. crying WITH someone caring, which I've done more than once.

Best to you, hope you feel better soon.
Maggie

#337600 - 10/31/08 02:58 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Did you ever figure out if the Bikram's was causing problems? I was thinking that if you spent some time in a sauna and watched for a reaction that would show you if the humdidity it self was a problem.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: Yoga is making my pain WORSE, Help!!- TO MAGGLES new
      #337609 - 10/31/08 07:24 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Maggles,

That is the best advice that you just posted. I love that you stated, "do not project". That is sooooo true. Sometimes, when we hit a rough patch in any area of our lives, whether it be physical or other, we tend to "awfulize" (not a word, my creation) everything. We project a bleak and gloomy future, which usually creates exactly what we fear. Wonderful post!!!!

Lynn

#338024 - 11/12/08 10:30 PM
maggles

Reged: 06/18/03

Thanks for your reply- now quite a few months later! Good advice for me to remember myself. I've had a tough recurrance of IBS this year after several years of very low symptoms. Wayyyy too much stress w/ divorce w/ a toddler, selling our home, now being the main breadwinner for our household and therapist w/ teen girls and autistic children. Many many blessings and my son's dad is a strong co-parent, but single parenting is still single parenting, as is being a head of household! I feel down sometimes that my stomach is not cooperating- it is the one thing that really puts me over the edge to feeling down- but I do bounce back and love my life in general. Having a punk tummy is a tough deal and I send you all healing and acceptance and self love in the meantime. Maggie

#338047 - 11/13/08 11:40 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

It's OK Maggie. Life is busy. Especially when you have a "punk tummy". Luv that!!! I used to call mine bubble gut, but my new name is "punk tummy". LOL

Lynn

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70547

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review