All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Do folks with IBS do better with a vegan diet??
      #370689 - 12/02/13 12:33 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello,

I was wondering if us IBSers do better on a vegan diet than on a non-vegan diet!

Also I was wondering if anyone can point me to some sites that sell vegan foods. Right now I am dying for pumpkin and chocolate cream pies.

Thanks Much!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Depends.... new
      #370790 - 01/14/14 03:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it automatically takes some major trigger foods out of the equation (red meat, dairy) but it can also make it quite difficult to find safe options at restaurants (seafood is sometimes the only thing I can order without worry).

Vegans are going to get a lot more plant foods, which means fiber, in their diet. Great for overall health, but you'd have to be extra cautious with the insoluble fiber.

You can manage IBS whether carnivore, vegetarian, or vegan, as regardless you'll be excluding the same trigger foods and watching your soluble vs insoluble fiber. For other health concerns, being vegan is probably the very best way to go.

XOXO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Do folks with IBS do better with a vegan diet?? new
      #370792 - 01/15/14 05:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is a clinically proven FODMAP elimination/re-introduction dietary approach for managing IBS symptoms. It has been shown in clinical trials on IBS suffers that 70-80% of individuals experience a significant reduction in symptoms. Unfortunately, many vegetarian and vegan foods are high FODMAP foods that can worsen IBS symptoms.

There are links to quality information on the FODMAP approach in my signature at the bottom of this message.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370800 - 01/18/14 04:55 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I do quite well on a vegan diet. It would depend on the person, since as you know, everyone is different.

I pretty much make my own meals and avoid processed foods, due to some of the ingredients. If I purchase any vegan foods, I don't do it online. Instead, I go to my local health food store, and even some regular supermarkets now carry vegan foods.

As for the pies your are craving, you would probably be better off making your own so you are sure of the ingredients. I have never made either of those pies, so I can't help you there.

Good luck if you are thinking of trying a vegan lifestyle!

#370803 - 01/20/14 06:03 PM
commish

Reged: 05/19/07
Loc: canada

I am not vegan but I have eliminated all red meat and I have noticed a huge difference in symptoms...for the better. I eat chicken and seafood but I have to be careful that I get enough iron. You can always go slow with a new diet and ease into it. I just knew that red meat was a HUGE trigger for me so it was after a big attack that I decided to stop eating it. Never looked back.

Yep - agree wtih you 100%. - nt- new
      #370838 - 01/31/14 11:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371998 - 04/03/15 10:59 PM
nahiiii

Reged: 04/03/15

Also I was wondering if anyone can point me to some sites that sell vegan foods. Right now I am dying for pumpkin and chocolate cream pies. ??

--------------------
GuL

#372198 - 06/25/15 10:24 AM
jhonsoneric86

Reged: 06/25/15

Yes, Vegan diet works good on IBS. Besides it healthy diet also plays an important role to stay fit and healthy for life long. Healthy diet is not only necessary for adults but it is equally important for children too. Healthy diet improves brain, memory power of children and overall health. Thus healthy diet is having wonderful health benefits for all of us.

#372205 - 07/09/15 10:10 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is no evidence that a vegan diet will help with IBS. In fact, raw veggies are a well known IBS trigger. If one decides to go vegan then try a low FODMAP version which has been shown to be a great way for managing IBS symptoms

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#372257 - 07/28/15 03:05 AM
Johnwalker

Reged: 07/28/15

A vegetarian diet holds the proper nutritional value which is needed. And it is possible to reduce the risk of irritable bowel syndrome with the help of vegan diet. IBS is mostly increase the risk of abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas etc. It is well known as a chronic condition which can leads to the constipation.

Edited by Heather (08/10/15 02:55 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review