All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Beet Borscht Recipe
      #369135 - 01/29/13 01:59 PM
Goldilocks

Reged: 09/28/11
Loc: San Diego

Thanks for answering, Heather! Peeling the beets takes time, but this soup is delicious & healing.

Beet Borscht - Serves 8 - Freezes well

•6 organic red beets, peeled & cut into matchsticks or mechanically chopped, fairly fine
•Washed, sliced & diced young, good-looking beet greens
•½ medium red onion, diced
•3 large carrots, peeled & chopped into small coins
•¼ head thinly sliced Napa cabbage, or 1 package finely shredded green cabbage to taste
•3 or 4 stalks celery, sliced
•2 T ground up/mashed BacoBits – or Bacon if you can eat it
•2 T olive oil
•2 one-quart cartons Trader Joe's or good organic broth – Low-sodium Veggie (or 1 Vegie & 1 Beef broth if you eat meat - deepens the flavor)
•Dry Dill Weed to taste
•Ground black pepper to taste
•Mrs Dash original, a spritz
•A few teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice for sour taste
•Veggie sour cream floated on top at serving (If you can have dairy, try feta cheese or nonfat Greek yogurt.)
•Garnish with finely chopped fresh dill, green onions or parsley at serving (optional)

I use a 6-quart pressure cooker – don't use a crock pot – turns out mushy & tasteless. Sauté onions, carrots & beets over medium heat in the olive oil with a pinch of salt in a large soup pot. Reserve a Tablespoon or so of grated beet & add near the end to enliven color.

Stir approx 5 minutes until beets soften a bit, then add broths, celery, shredded cabbage & dry seasonings including Baco Bits. Cover & bring to a boil, then simmer on medium/low heat about 45 minutes, until contents are tender & the tastes have blended. Add the reserved grated beet to deepen the color back to purple at this stage.

Season to taste with salt & pepper, then add the vinegar and/or lemon juice, aiming for a pleasing but subtle sour taste. Borscht is traditionally served with a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill.

Enjoy with crusty toast or try Naan bread, if you can have a little dairy. This soup is very healing for gallbladder issues, and super nutritious. I make it every few weeks!

--------------------
Goldilocks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ohhh, this sounds delicous! Would love it with sourdough or pumpernickel toast! -nt- new
      #369159 - 02/04/13 11:57 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Ohhh, this sounds delicous! Would love it with sourdough or pumpernickel toast! -nt- new
      #369218 - 02/19/13 05:07 PM
Goldilocks

I always toast sourdough or T-Joe's frozen garlic naan bread with it. It's filling, delicious & incredibly nutritious. I just need to buy a better auto-chopper...

BTW, I take 3 tablespoons of your Acacia fiber daily, drink peppermint, chamomile & other mild teas & follow your dietary guidelines, Heather. I can even cheat a little now that I'm more stable. I'd be miserable & sick without your wonderful products, books & sage advice. THANKS AGAIN for everything, you are an Angel!

--------------------
Goldilocks

Aw, thank you so much!! That just makes my day! -nt- new
      #369232 - 02/20/13 12:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Vegie Beet Soup Recipe update new
      #369402 - 04/04/13 05:11 PM
Goldilocks

Folks, I'm a novice cook (I'm sure you noticed) and recently realized how much easier & smarter it is to roast the beets for about an hour before peeling & chopping. Wear gloves to protect your hands. Rinse off loose dirt, cut off all but 1 inch of the leaves but not the roots. Reserve young leaves for soup. Roast at 350 degrees until just tender. Remove, cool a bit, chop tops & roots off, then rub skins off with a paper towel. Chop with a knife, mandolin or auto-chopper & your hands will be happier. Adds a nice nuttiness to the flavor. I also find the more Baco Bits the better. This soup feeds my soul as well as my body with pure nutrition. I add a sprinkle of feta cheese for a decadent creamy taste, with Lactase I can tolerate a little. Add sourdough toast and enjoy, my friends!

--------------------
Goldilocks

Re: Vegie Beet Soup Recipe update new
      #369699 - 07/04/13 11:42 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

It sounds very tasty, I will make it this weekend.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36713

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review