All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
LCHF/protein
      #361348 - 10/09/10 08:15 AM
cherryeyes

Reged: 10/09/10
Loc: sweden

I dont know if its the research at large in the different countries that differs or what the reason could be but over here (Sweden) there seems to be a consensus regarding the LCHF (low carb high fat)diet as a sort of cure/only salvation for IBS-sufferers (or whatever the PC-term might be) but (i just found this site a couple of hours ago) this diet seems to be the complete opposite of that which obviously appeals to me as a vegan (LCHF=all dairy & meaty). It just leaves me to wonder, what to do in order to get all the protein i need if beans and lentils are "almost-no-noes"?
especially in the beginning where im supposed to live on pasta, rice, white bread and potatoes

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LCHF/protein new
      #361360 - 10/10/10 07:10 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

Quote:

what to do in order to get all the protein i need if beans and lentils are "almost-no-noes"?

My daughter has been eating a lot of egg whites and soy products. Apparently, some people find they can not tolerate soy very well, but for some reason she has been able to. Tofu was one of the first foods she was able to add back to her diet after btc. She eats tofu, soy milk and/or soy yogurt pretty much every day lately. I'm thankful because you can do as much w/soy as you can w/dairy as far as cooking goes. (We haven't dared to try edamame -or any whole beans- yet.)

Quote:

(low carb high fat)diet as a sort of cure/only salvation for IBS-sufferers

Wow. I can't imagine. There's no question that in my daughter's case, high fat has been a trigger, especially in the absence of SF and carbs. We have had better luck lately with re-introducing slightly more fats than we have with IF, tho.
hth,
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#361369 - 10/11/10 09:19 AM
cherryeyes

Reged: 10/09/10
Loc: sweden

thanx for the input,
ima try adding some soy-products once/if i get a bit stabilized (at least somewhat cramp-free).

it does strike me as pretty odd that there is such a big difference between this recommended diet and the swedish counterpart (LCHT)

Note about deleted posts in this thread... new
      #361374 - 10/11/10 01:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

please remember that this is the veggie board. It doesn't do any good to talk about poultry and seafood protein options to someone who is a vegetarian, as those are not options for them.

On the regular EFI diet board these posts would be fine. But please respect that this is a veggie board.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: LCHF/protein/I forgot to mention quinoa . . . new
      #361384 - 10/12/10 11:40 AM
kem

We eat quinoa a couple of times per week. People don't always remember that it is a great protein source. I overcook it slightly so that it's nice and soft and serve it like you would rice. My daughter likes it a lot (so does the rest of the family) and it actually appears to be good/stabilizing for her IBS, but with the bonus of more protein than most grains. (Note for anyone that's never cooked it before: You MUST rinse the grain well before cooking it; I rinse 4 times. You make up for the couple of minutes that takes, tho, because it cooks really quick.)

hth,
kem (daughter w/ibs)

Re: Note about deleted posts in this thread... new
      #361391 - 10/12/10 03:29 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks Heather!!!!

Re: LCHF/protein/thought of another one . . . new
      #361392 - 10/12/10 03:31 PM
kem

While cooking dinner I just thought of another good protein source that works for my daughter: seitan. She can eat small amounts of it in a SF base, and there are many delicious ways to cook with it. Around here I can get it refrigerated (in tubs like tofu) or frozen.
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

Re: LCHF/protein/I forgot to mention quinoa . . . new
      #361480 - 10/17/10 05:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I read recently that snow peas have more protein than some nuts and soy IIRC. I think it is more important to eat safely for IBS and then try to get protein and vitamins to a greater degree once stable. I can handle black beans and chick peas but not lentils, other beans or some grains. I do well with soy, nuts, seeds, and fake meat products. I still plan to try TVP and seitan and more tempeh.
A search for a chart of protein in foods could bring up some interesting food items that actually have protein. I eat fish and home raised egg whites so I have less issue with protein.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362948 - 01/16/11 08:26 AM
declanparkes

Reged: 01/16/11

I am a 36 year old guy.
I am suffering from same disease.
Can anyone tell me about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) treatment?
What supplement I should take in my regular diet?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20627

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review