All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie with ?s HELP
      #357199 - 04/01/10 06:16 AM
Nia1

Reged: 03/30/10
Loc: East Central Illinois

Hi, I'm new to this board but not IBS--been dealing with it for the better part of 40 years but not had any real relief until I found out about this way of eating. So 2 weeks ago I bought Heather's book, and similar supplements/fiber supplements at my local health food store. I am a vegetarian, followed the diet for 4 days with AMAZING results. HOWEVER, 2 things have happened: 1. constipation (as I had always wolfed down lots of whole grains/veggies in an effort to keep me going) and 2. as soon as I started to add back a small amount of veggies (under the guidelines)I'm back to square 1 with lots of symptoms. HELP! I thought I was doing the right things.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie with ?s HELP new
      #357201 - 04/01/10 07:45 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may have to peel, well cook and/or puree veggies for a while. Raw veggies could be a problem.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357215 - 04/01/10 12:06 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi there and welcome to the Veggie board. You will have to discover for yourself, how much IF you can tolerate. I eat some veggies raw and some cooked. Try to balance those veggies with some SF first, and see how it goes. Usually, those with C need more IF, so it will be an experiment for you. I seem to stay mostly C, no matter what I do, so I just keep eating my veggies.

How long have you been a vegetarian? Please share you story, if you like, as this board is rather new to all of us. We love to welcome new folks here, as it seems we are in the minority.

#357235 - 04/02/10 06:03 AM
Nia1

Reged: 03/30/10
Loc: East Central Illinois

I've only be a vegetarian for about a year but and IBS-C sufferer for 40 years. In addition to being overall healthier, I thought going veggie would help my IBS but it didn't really--probably because then I ate even more IF and veggies. I don't like the idea of cooking my veggies but will if I have to.

Another option... new
      #357256 - 04/02/10 02:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

to cooking the high insoluble fiber veggies is to puree them. Make into a dip, spread, sauce, smoothies with fruit, etc.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#357862 - 04/18/10 12:41 PM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

I have major problems with veggies and constipation as well. I wish I could help you but I'm in the same boat as you sadly.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12826

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review