All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Doro We't (Ethiopian Chicken Stew)
      #98985 - 08/17/04 06:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Despite the peppers, this is actually a fairly mild version of this dish (because of the long cooking time), but it still has a really good flavor. If you're concerned about the jalapenos, try decreasing to one or omitting them and maybe seasoning the final dish to taste with green Tabasco. I always used 2 peppers and found it pretty mild.

Serve with plenty of injera, pita, or other soft flatbread.

1 tbsp soy/safe margarine or oil (if you're feeling brave, the recipe actually calls for 2 tbsp)
2 red onions, about 1lb total, chopped
2 - 4 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/2 to 1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground cloves
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" strips
2 cups water
3 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled (read the recipe and comments!)

In 5-6 quart pan, melt margarine over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft, 15-20 minutes.

Add chilies, thyme, pepper, salt, ginger, cardamom, cumin, and cloves. Stir for 1 minute, then add chicken and water. Mix well, then simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 15 minutes.

Cut each egg into 8 pieces; feed the yolks to your cat/dog. Stir the whites into the stew; simmer until hot, about 1 minute.

Serves 6.

It's not at all authentic, but if you want, you can thicken the "sauce" with a flour-water mixture... stir in and let simmer until thickened.

By the way, it's absolutely essential that you use red onions for this, and cook them for a long time till they're good and browned. I tried this with white onions once, and the finished dish was pale and completely unappealing, LOL!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Doro We't (Ethiopian Chicken Stew) new
      #99023 - 08/17/04 10:57 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sounds devine!! And I'm glad I kept reading.... I almost stopped when I saw hard boiled egg.......

Quote:

Cut each egg into 8 pieces; feed the yolks to your cat/dog . Stir the whites into the stew; simmer until hot, about 1 minute.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Doro We't (Ethiopian Chicken Stew) new
      #99044 - 08/18/04 06:23 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Oh, come on! You should know I wouldn't post a recipe that was totally unsafe!

By the way, I phrased it like that because it's always been far easier for me to hard-boil whole eggs and just toss the yolks to the cats... but you could also just cook some Egg Beaters (microwave egg cups work super for this!) and chop them up, that would work too.

In looking at some other recipes for it online (most of which call for 3 sticks of butter, btw - ack!!), I did see that one of the traditional ways of serving it is to just give each guest a whole hard-boiled egg... so you could omit the egg from the stew and do it that way, too, if ever you're serving company and they don't have the fat restrictions we have.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1734

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review