All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
CRUNCHY OAT, FRUIT AND NUT GRANOLA
      #9382 - 05/19/03 12:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - This recipe is also from Blythe (along with the oat flax muffins) and sounds delicious. It makes a big batch but I'd guess you can scale it down pretty easily. You can also decrease the amount of nuts and dried fruit to keep the insoluble fiber level lower as needed. For folks who tolerate oatmeal this looks like a great recipe!

CRUNCHY OAT, FRUIT AND NUT GRANOLA

Adapted from recipe by Kathleen Daelemans

Food Network show Cooking Thin, book by same name

1 ½ cups brown sugar

½ cup water

4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon salt

8 cups rolled oats

2 cups finely ground pecans, walnuts or slivered almonds (optional)

2 cups finely chopped dried fruits (optional)

Combine brown sugar and water in a 4 cup microwave proof glass measuring cup or bowl. Place in microwave on high for 5 minutes and cook until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from microwave, add vanilla and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, optional nuts, and brown sugar syrup mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Spread the granola onto cookie sheets and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden and crunchy.

When the granola mixture comes out of the oven, it is still very pliable. You may choose to add in chopped dried fruit at this time. When granola has cooled completely, store in an airtight container.

Yield: 10 cups

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CRUNCHY OAT, FRUIT AND NUT GRANOLA new
      #9972 - 05/26/03 11:36 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I was just making this and I realized the recipe doesn't specify a oven temp. I looked it up online and it says to bake at 275 for 45 min. to 1 hour.

#9977 - 05/26/03 11:44 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi HEATHER; What about grape nut flakes? I know they are supposed to be good for you, but would they be a trigger?

#9985 - 05/26/03 02:02 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Heather, I know it specifies dried fruit, but do you think frozen blueberries would be sufficient?

#9988 - 05/26/03 03:07 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I wouldn't add fresh or frozen fruit to granola except immediately before eating it. If you add frozen blueberries to the cereal the juice from the blueberries as they thaw will make the cereal unappealingly soggy and then it won't keep anyway. But you could add a handful as you sat down to eat, if that's what you meant.

#9994 - 05/26/03 04:25 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

nope, meant add it while cooking, but I can see it getting soggy! I love homemade granola but have never made it myself...would love to try it with dried cranberries!

#10021 - 05/26/03 07:02 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

The reason the recipe says not to add the dried fruit till after the granola has been baked and cooled is because the sugars in the fruit will scorch. The same would be true for fresh or frozen fruit--if you try to bake it for an hour (without liquid or a cover, etc.), it will scorch. And if you try to add frozen fruit afterwards, well, you can see why it would get soggy. Does that make sense?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review