Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mayonnaise information
      #9369 - 05/19/03 10:28 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

According to NetGrocer, Miracle Whip Free contains:

WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, VINEGAR, SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SOYBEAN OIL*, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, CELLULOSE GEL, EGG YOLKS*, CITRIC ACID, CREAM*, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, LACTIC ACID, WITH POTASSIUM SORBATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA AS PRESERVATIVES, XANTHAN GUM, MUSTARD FLOUR, CELLULOSE GUM, SPICE, PAPRIKA, L-CYSTEINE, YELLOW 6, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1), NATURAL FLAVOR, BETA CAROTENE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BLUE 1 (*TRIVIAL SOURCE OF FAT AND CHOLESTEROL).

I would be careful because of the high-fructose corn syrup, soybean oil, egg yolks, and cream.

Hellmann's Low-Fat Mayonnaise Dressing is better. Its ingredients are:

WATER, CORN SYRUP, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, EGG WHITES, VINEGAR, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, GUMS (CELLULOSE GEL AND GUM, XANTHAN, CARRAGEENAN), NATURAL FLAVORS, COLOR ADDED, MUSTARD FLOUR, SODIUM BENZOATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY).

It does, however, have 1 gram of fat (from the soybean oil) per serving.

Kraft Fat Free Mayo contains:

WATER, SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS EGG*), VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, CELLULOSE GEL, XANTHAN GUM, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, DRIED CREAM*, WITH POTASSIUM SORBATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA AS PRESERVATIVES, LACTIC ACID, PHOSPHORIC ACID, VITAMIN E ACETATE, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, YELLOW 6 PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1), BLUE 1. (*TRIVIAL SOURCE OF FAT AND CHOLESTEROL).

Again, I would be careful because of the egg, high-fructose corn syrup, and cream. However, this is the mayonnaise Heather said she uses.

Finally, there are the flat-out mayonnaise substitutes, available at healthy food stores. I've heard that Nayonnaise tastes terrible, so I've never tried it, but that Vegannaise is good. However, I don't know how much fat it has, and I can't find the ingredients online. Has anyone had any
experience with Vegannaise (or Nayonnaise, for that matter)?

Finally, a local restaurant makes their own soy mayonnaise (from tofu, I presume), and it's actually quite good. Has anyone done this? Care to post a tried-and-true recipe? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You are fabulous!!!! -nt- new
      #9374 - 05/19/03 10:59 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

tofu mayonnaise new
      #13562 - 07/08/03 08:10 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I found a tofu mayonnaise recipe! I haven't tried it yet, but it might be a good solution for anyone who has trouble finding a (palatable) low-fat/fat-free mayonnaise at the store.

Tofu Mayonnaise from _Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine_

1/2 pound tofu (1 large or 2 small cakes)
2 tablespoons lemon juice or cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
3 tablespoons oil
2 to 4 tablespoons water

Pat tofu dry with a paper towel and combine in a blender or a processor fitted with a steel blade with lemon juice, salt, and mustard. Process until creamy. With machine running, add oil through feeder cap, then water, until mayonnaise is of desired consistency. Makes 1 cup.

Re: mayonnaise information (and another) new
      #13571 - 07/09/03 12:34 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I agree with Heather, you ARE wonderful for the info you post. Here is another. It's one I use even though it is about the only thing soy based I use:

Nayonaise (fat free) by Vita Soy USA
www.witasoy-usa.com
Ingredients: Silken tofu, lemon juice, cane juice, corn starch, distilled vinegar, salt, xantham gum, mustard seed, onion powder, garlic juice, natural flavor, spices. All non-GMO, certified organic

Serving size: 1 TBSP. Calories: 10

Kandee

--------------------

Re: mayonnaise information new
      #13577 - 07/09/03 04:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey Amelia!

I tried Nayonaisse once and I liked it. (I wish I could still eat it!) I seem to be outvoted though...no one else seems to like it! (Including Heather if I remember correctly!) Just wanted to throw my vote for yeah on the nayonaisse out there!

Btw, your summer lunches post was truly AMAZING! If you like potatoes, try a baked potato for lunch too

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13578 - 07/09/03 04:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kandee! I love you! You like Nayonaisse too! 2 votes for Nayonaisse!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13621 - 07/09/03 10:29 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Love you too, Ruchie............2 thumbs up for Ruchie.

Nayonaisse is not what I'd call the gourmet mayonnaise of the millennium, but if you can't get Emeril to come make it special for you then Nayonnaise will suffice. Kandee

--------------------

#234600 - 12/30/05 10:39 AM
ebrbetty

Reged: 03/31/05

all mayos have oil,a trigger food.
I'm new to this and have been reading the board all morning,it seems many of the tigger foods are what members are eating? just trying to figure it all out.

#234602 - 12/30/05 10:50 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think when you're first starting out on the IBS diet, it's better just to follow Heather's guidelines rather than the info on this board. The boards are here to discuss the diet, but a lot of people, after being stable, find they are able to tolerate some triggers, if eaten in small amounts and safely. It can be confusing at first, so I would focus on the Eating for IBS diet until you're at a place where you feel you can safely try new foods.

Also, I think a FF or LF mayonnaise is recommended as a substitute - remember this is a low-fat diet, not a no-fat diet. EFI Substitution List

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (12/30/05 10:54 AM)

#234629 - 12/30/05 12:28 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There are four types of real food you just shouldn't eat and can eliminate with no health hazards: red meat, dark meat poultry and skin, egg yolks, and dairy.

There are a lot of additives you should avoid: MSG, HFCS, fructose itself in too concentrated a form (e.g., a big glass of orange juice), and probably a few others I've forgotten.

There are two types of real food that are IBS triggers, but that you must eat to stay healthy: fats and insoluble fiber. For both of these, eat them with a good soluble fiber base. For fat, make sure you don't overdo.

You can take a look at this old thread and see if that helps. Somewhere in here I have a hyperlink to a post by LittleMinnie that is really, really helpful so definitely take a look at that, too.

As Maria says, you do really need to use Heather's book and/or the Website outside the Boards to learn about how the diet works in its pure form. On the Board, people are discussing the Diet at the margins: I can tolerate some wine, I can't eat any whole grain, I can handle popcorn, all that kind of stuff. To start, though, you need to understand the diet as Heather describes it and follow that.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review