All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Cinnamon Rolls
      #89141 - 07/12/04 04:14 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was at a HFS the other day and bought a fat free cinnamon roll - it was a pretty simple recipe and the only 2 ingredients I wasnt sure on were oat bran and honey. Are these ok? Also does anyone know a safe cinnamon roll recipe???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Abby! new
      #89161 - 07/12/04 05:16 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Abby, this is the first time I noticed your pic. You're so pretty!!

As for the cinnamon roll, honey is generally fine. It does contain lots of fructose but unless you're really sensative to it it shouldn't be a problem. I use it all the time in my tea and in baked goods. The oat bran I would use sparingly... it depends how much of it is in the rolls and how well you tolerate whole grains. It's a lot easier to tolerate than wheat bran, but it's still a bran, which is very insoluble. I don't know if that cleared anything up... but that's because both those ingredients fall into a gray area that depends on you!

I don't know of any safe cinnamon rolls, but they certainly would be nice to have! I think I'm going to have to look some up now.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Quicky Sticky Buns... these are sort of like cinnamon rolls! new
      #89165 - 07/12/04 05:23 PM
Kree

Quicky Sticky Buns
(Makes 9 buns)

This recipe has been in my family for a while, and I just realized that with reduced fat crescent rolls and soy margarine it should be IBS-safe. Yay! I can't wait to make these again.

3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
1/4 cup Karo syrup (light or dark)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 Tablespoons soy margarine, softened and divided
1 (8 ounce) can reduced fat crescent rolls
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In small bowl combine 2 Tbsp brown sugar, corn syrup, pecans and 1 Tbsp margarine.
3. Spoon about 2 tsp of mixture into each of 9 (2 1/2 inch) muffin pan cups that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Unroll crescent roll dough; pinch seams together to form 1 rectangle.
5. Combine remaining 1 Tbsp brown sugar and cinnamon.
6. Spread dough with remaining 1 Tbsp margarine; sprinkle with cinnamon mixture.
7. Roll up from short end.
8. Cut into 9 slices.
9. Place one slice in each muffin cup.
10. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Immediately invert pan onto cookie sheet or tray; cool 10 minutes and serve.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

oohh yummy yummy yummy! -nt- new
      #89182 - 07/12/04 06:19 PM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Re: Abby! new
      #89216 - 07/12/04 08:25 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thank you Kree! Its so awesome that you took the time to find that recipe. I really appreciate it and cant wait to try them!

You're welcome... I hope you like them! -nt- new
      #89273 - 07/13/04 06:26 AM
Kree

--------------------

Re: Cinnamon Rolls new
      #89382 - 07/13/04 10:47 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

• 1 pkg. regular dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm milk or non-dairy substitute
  • 1/3 cup sunflower or safflower oil
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 4-5 cups bread flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon real almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon cool water
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • optional: 1 cup pecans or hazelnuts, whole or chopped
  • optional: 1/2 cup raisins or currants or dried cranberries

Mix yeast, liquid, oil, and sugar with 1 or 2 cups of the flour, just enough to make it real thick like pudding but still very moist. Mix thoroughly, cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let it sit in the bowl in a warm place till it's about double size. This could be anywhere from a half hour to 3 hours; stir it down now and then if you think of it. When you get around to it, whip the egg whites till they start to get thick -- not like meringue but just starting to get thick. Beat that into the bread mix and add the almond and salt. Start adding in the rest of the flour. Don't measure it, or you'll screw it up. All flours are different, and the temp and humidity in your house will affect the measurement of the flour. The idea is to use AS LITTLE FLOUR AS POSSIBLE but get beyond the sticky dough to a soft non-sticky dough. Dump the bread dough out onto a floured surface (board or countertop) and knead it, turning and working the dough and pushing it around till you've incorporated just enough flour -- but not too much. Cover the dough with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let it rest again, till it's about double in size. Knead it again, working it hard, then cover it up and let it rest again -- at least 20 minutes or till you get back to deal with it. Roll the dough out to about one inch thick, then sprinkle it with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla mixed with water. Add fruits or nuts if you want. Roll the dough up into a "tube," making it as tight as you can by stretching the dough a bit as you roll it up. Coat a baking pan with non-stick spray -- the pan should be at least two inches deep. (At this point if you want to be decadent, you can add blobs of butter or margarine plus more brown sugar to the bottom of the pan for that gooey sticky-bun effect. They're still good rolls if you don't do that.) Cut the roll of dough with a sharp knife, and make the slices at least one inch thick. I cut mine almost two inches thick. Tuck them into the pan so they're touching each other, and sprinkle the top surface of the rolls very lightly with cool water. Turn your oven on to 200 or so. Use your hands to very gently push the rolls down a bit, so the tops of all the rolls are kind of flattened in the pan and they're all even in height. The tops should be moist; sprinkle on just a little more water if they're not. Put them in the oven and shut the heat off (crack the door if necessary, it should be warm in there but not hot). Go away for a while till the rolls are twice their original height, or almost that tall, then turn the oven on to 350. Don't overbake the rolls -- you can pull a piece to the side to check doneness in the middle, but the best way to tell if they're done is to look at the bottoms of the rolls (using a glass baking dish obviously helps with this). If they're just light golden brown, they're probably done, depending on how thick you made them. When you take them out of the oven, put them on a wire rack to cool, and brush them down with a little honey or maple syrup while they're still warm (or use the more traditional powdered sugar icing). Try really hard to not eat the whole pan by yourself -- sharing is good.

These are Fanatastic Kree! Thanks!!!--nt new
      #89684 - 07/14/04 06:21 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

You're so welcome! -nt- new
      #89692 - 07/14/04 06:38 AM
Kree

--------------------

where do you get the reduced fat crescent rolls? new
      #89754 - 07/14/04 08:04 AM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Where do you get the reduced fat crescent rolls? WHat's the brand, what aisle, what store? I can't find them anywhere. Blub.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review