Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Tasty Potato Poppers
      #88737 - 07/11/04 12:23 PM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Tasty Potato Poppers

These are just yummy--and very easy to make, especially if you already have some cooked rice lying around.

1/2 onion, minced
1 celery stalk, minced (add less if worried about celery. I used half a stalk)
1 1/4 c. mashed potatoes
1 c. cooked white rice
1/4 c. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. soy cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Saute onion and celery in a pan sprayed with Pam or other oil. Combine all ingredients and form into 1 1/2" balls. Lightly spray baking sheet, place balls on baking sheet.

Bake on top rack of oven for 20 minutes, until browned.

Makes 12 balls.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tasty Potato Poppers new
      #88765 - 07/11/04 02:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Oh, those sound good. Yum! I keep getting more and more excuses to buy soy cheese, heh.

#88793 - 07/11/04 04:28 PM
raindew01

LOL! Really, soy cheese can be pretty good--when mixed with other things, or melted on top or with something. That's the best way, I think.

Maybe you'll try it out sometime.

#88799 - 07/11/04 04:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The problem with the soy cheese is that it's so darn expensive. At the grocery store, I can get Veggie Slices reasonably priced, but I'm betting those wouldn't work for this, right? (Are they even any good? Heh.) At the health food store, I can buy a tiny (and I do mean tiny) block of soy cheddar for about $7. We're on a very limited income right now, and I have a hard time justifying that. Even for something really tasty-sounding, heh.

Veggie Slices new
      #88839 - 07/11/04 06:46 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Veggie Slices are actually pretty decent... although not quite as good as Veggie Shreds, I must say. I have used them for recipes that called for grated or shredded cheese, though... I just rip them in little pieces. I bet that would work here too!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#88910 - 07/12/04 06:10 AM
raindew01

Wow, atomic rose. The price must vary according to location! Here, soy cheese is pretty inexpensive. I think the grated soy cheese is cheaper than regular cheese.... I'm sorry it's so expensive; I know what you mean about limited income. I hope a new brand will come to the stores near you soon, that's cheaper!

I tried the soy slices years ago and didn't like them--but I was looking for something that tasted like cheese, and I didn't melt them on things. Might taste good.

Velvety "cheeze" sauce (made with tofu) new
      #88912 - 07/12/04 06:17 AM
raindew01

Here's something that might be an alternative, atomic rose. I found it in a dairy-free recipe book a friend gave me yesterday. I haven't tried it yet...but it sounds like it could be good.

from: Dairy-Free and Delicious, by Bryanna Clark Grogan and Joanne Stepaniak

Velvety Cheeze Sauce
yields about 2 1/2 cups

1 medium potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
3/4 c. water
1/2 c. chopped carrot
1/2 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. crumbled firm silken tofu
1/3 c. nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 t salt
1/4 tsp garlic granules

Place potato, water, carrot, and onion in saucepan, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to med, cover with lid, simmer (stirring once or twice) for 10 min or until tender.

Place cooked vegetables, their cooking liquid, and the remaining ingredients in a blender, and puree them into a smooth sauce. (If your blender cannot contain all the ingredients, puree the sauce in batches. Transfer a small amount of cooked vegetables, cooking water, and each of remaining ingredients to blender)

Rinse out the saucepan, return the blended mixture to it. Place the saucepan over low heat, and warm the sauce, stirring often, until it is hot.

per 1/2 cup: calories 84, protein 8g, fat 2g, carbohydrates 12g, calcium 73 mg, sodium 448 mg.

#92478 - 07/23/04 06:25 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I made these last night and they are great too...I left out the cheese because I have yet to find a good soy cheese, but they were excellent, nonetheless!!!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Veggie Slices new
      #92808 - 07/24/04 01:36 PM
jonsie57

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: dallas, texas

Just to let you know that veggie slices and the veggie shredded all have caesin in them....Too much of this stuff gives me cramps and the big "D".....I am lactose intolerante as well....just a thought to let you know.

Re: Veggie Slices new
      #92817 - 07/24/04 02:12 PM
raindew01

there are some veggie cheeses that don't. I found one called "Vegan slices" and it does not have any caesin. There are a few others that don't, too, I think. They're very helpful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9275

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review