All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
GREAT fish recipe!
      #87475 - 07/07/04 05:53 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

This recipe is my own creation and is my absolute favorite!!! I don't really have exact measurements (these are estimates), but it's easily altered to fit your own needs! I usually cook for 2, so I always have extra coating left over that can be refridgerated.

1 2.5oz bag pecans, almonds or walnuts, ground finely in a food processor.
1/2 Cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 Cup Parmesan soy cheese
1/4 Cup egg beaters
flour
Tilapia or Walleye, or any white flakey fish

Place enough flour to coat fish in a shallow bowl. Place egg beaters in another shallow bowl. Place first 5 ingredients in a zip lock bag, and shake to mix. Place 1 cup of mixture in a shallow bowl. Dip fish in flour, and gently scrape off any excess so it's very lightly coated. Dip coated fish into egg. Place fish into the coating, making sure to coat both sides generously. Place on prepared grill and grill until fish flakes easily. Or, spray a non-stick pan with pam spray and saute until flakey.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

YUM, that sounds good! new
      #87485 - 07/07/04 06:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm trying that this weekend! Thanks for posting it!

IMPORTANT DETAIL I LEFT OUT! new
      #87503 - 07/07/04 07:03 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I need to metion one thing...I just grilled it for the first time tonight, and it helped to spray pam on both side of the fish, so it wouldn't burn.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: IMPORTANT DETAIL I LEFT OUT! new
      #87545 - 07/07/04 08:24 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

That does sound good. How do you think it would work on salmon? That's the only "fish" we can get unless we special order it over the internet. And since we just spent $24 getting some vegetarian marshmallows (a once in a lifetime summer treat), we're stuck with salmon!

Jenny! new
      #87550 - 07/07/04 08:34 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

what are vegetarian marshmellows made from? what is in them you can't eat due to being vegan???
also...just wondering if not eating meat etc but instead eating vegan with the soy, etc. has affected your ibs in any way?

Re: Jenny! new
      #87554 - 07/07/04 08:41 PM
chinagrl

Oh vegetarian marshmallows are made just like normal marshmallows, but instead of using gelatin (which is a product made from the bones and hooves of animals) it uses a fruit derived gelling agent. The ones we ended up getting (from www.tinytrapeze.com) in case anybody else ever needs them, are completely organic and super deluxe, but we just wanted them without the gelatin.

I'm not actually vegan. I eat dairy and eggs in things. Eggs and milk stuff actually makes me sick in any great amount (as it does most of us around here), but I don't not eat it for moral reasons. I like the occasional Ben and Jerry's.

I don't know whether my vegetarianism has affected my IBS or not. I started being a vegetarian about a year before I got sick for the first time (vegetarian at 12, sick at 13). I've never had a problem with soy though... lots of other things, but soy has never been one of them. I think in a lot of ways it's been easier for me. I'm pretty much a health food freak, so avoiding the fried and super rich wasn't a worry. My biggest sin used to be red wine, but then I developed an allergy to it!

Re: Jenny! new
      #87559 - 07/07/04 08:53 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

That all makes a lot of sense to me. I have noticed like a lot of people here I am put off by a lot of meat lately. I still eat chicken, tuna, turkey and shrimp moderately BUT it grosses me out to see my family eat hamburgers. I just think how nasty it is that a big hunk of red meat, or as Bev calls it, "dead animal carcass" is sitting in my stomach and intestines essentially fermenting inside of me. GROSS.

oh, and...

Quote:

Oh vegetarian marshmallows are made just like normal marshmallows, but instead of using gelatin (which is a product made from the bones and hooves of animals) it uses a fruit derived gelling agent. The ones we ended up getting (from www.tinytrapeze.com) in case anybody else ever needs them, are completely organic and super deluxe, but we just wanted them without the gelatin.

That is DISGUSTING, not to mention downright CRUEL. I will definitely be thinking twice before I put a marshmellow in my mouth!!!!!!

Gelatin new
      #87561 - 07/07/04 08:59 PM
chinagrl

Yeah, I think it's pretty gross. But gelatin is very cheap and is in a LOT of stuff. Probably way more stuff you eat than you know. It's in most types of yogurt, almost every chewy kind of candy (Starburst, Skittles), Twinkies, and Poptarts, and all flavors of Altoids to name a few things. It's all over the place. It's a big pain the butt when you're first starting out as a vegetarian and you have to read all of the labels, but now I pretty much know what to avoid!

Obviously I think that being a vegetarian is the way to go, but then I'm a little biased. Basically I just tell people it's much easier than they think, and that there's a good book called "The Perfectly Contented Meat Eater's Guide to Vegetarianism" which, while it still preaches, at least has a sense of humor about it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3494

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review