All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rum-Glazed Pineapple, Mango & Chicken Skewers
      #80929 - 06/18/04 06:48 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm 99% sure these are IBS-safe... I've eaten them for years without a problem, anyway. If pineapple is iffy for you, feel free to omit & double up on the mango! Also, the glaze sounds as though it would be high-acid or hot, but it really isn't... honest!

I never use the vegetable oil called for in this recipe (I spray with cooking spray instead), but am including it for the sake of accuracy... or something.

Glaze:
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
2 tbsp finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tsp grated lime rind

Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 30 pieces
2 mangos, peeled and cut into 18 pieces total (see note)
18 1-inch cubes fresh pineapple
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
Cooking spray

Prepare grill.

Combine first 4 glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Combine vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to the pan, bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime rind.

Thread 5 pieces chicken, 3 pieces mango, and 3 pieces pineapple alternately onto each of 6 (12-inch) skewers.* Brush kebabs with oil, sprinkle with salt. Place on grill rack coated with cooking spray, cook for 4 minutes. Turn, brush with half the glaze, cook 4 more minutes. Turn again, brush with remaining glaze, and cook 2 minutes. Makes 6 kebabs.

* I find it works better to do the mango on separate skewers from everything else... if it's nice, ripe mango, it cooks a LOT faster than the chicken does.

Ripe fresh peaches can be substituted for the mangos.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That looks soooo yummy! I can't wait to try it! -nt- new
      #80948 - 06/18/04 08:15 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Rum-Glazed Pineapple, Mango & Chicken Skewers new
      #270065 - 06/18/06 02:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

We had these last night for dinner and they were yummy. Joe, who is in charge of grilling and who usually hates to grill skewers, liked them so well he suggested we make them again. Thanks, Casey.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

sounds yummy new
      #270081 - 06/18/06 04:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Now that I like mango and pineapple so much!
Often times things are skewered together that have different cook times like this. Cutting the fruit real big and the chicken small would help or to exchange chicken for shrimp or other seafood.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Made this last night new
      #358673 - 05/16/10 12:32 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I substituted spiced rum for the dark rum; green peppers for the mango (careful - this lowers the SF and ups the IF); left out the cilantro. They were still good.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8601

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review