Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 Tbsp butter
5 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. milk (don't use vanilla soy!)
s/p to taste
2 c. cooked rice
shredded cheddar cheese (if you're able to)

Boil the chicken breasts in water or chicken broth (I do a combination of both). Save broth and strain. In skillet, melt butter and whisk in flour. Add 1 1/2 c. broth and s/p. Add milk. Simmer until flavors blend. Shred the chicken and combine it with the rice and the sauce in a 9x13 pan. Top with cheese (if you can - tastes good w/o it too). Either microwave @ 50% power for 10-15 min or bake at 350 for about 10 minutes (I usually bake it).

Heather had some additional suggestions:
"Yes, you could substitute canola oil, or a non-hydrogenated margarine spread (Spectrum Spread, Soy Garden, etc.). You could also probably reduce the quantity to 3-4 T. I'm guessing the amount of flour added is equal to the butter, so reduce that accordingly as well. What you're making is a "roux" - it will thicken your sauce. Any fat and flour combo will work."

--------------------
Leanne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chicken Casserole Recipe new
      #7983 - 04/30/03 04:07 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Looks good Leanne, I bet we could even add some cooked vegetables to it. I'm wondering how a toasted bread crumb top would be instead of cheese since so many of us can't tolerate it. Thanks for posting it!

Re: I dont think we can all handle that butter -nt- new
      #7987 - 04/30/03 04:34 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

I'd bet we could reduce the fat even further... new
      #7988 - 04/30/03 04:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

since there's a lot of rice in here, that will thicken the casserole nicely. I would guess that using just 2 T of canola or olive oil and 2 T flour to make the roux would work just fine.

And topping with soy cheese should work well also.

Since we're reducing the fat, you might want to add some fresh or dried herbs to up the flavor level (fat carries flavor). Basil, oregano, crushed rosemary, tarragon would all work well. Paprika is good with chicken too, and if you wanted to be really fancy you could add a few tablespoons of Sherry.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Chicken Casserole Recipe new
      #279084 - 08/19/06 09:03 PM
plaedes

Reged: 07/21/06

I sometimes mix flour and water in a jar or shaker to make a thickening for various things. This works great as the water cooks down and leaves it good and thick. Cornstarch can also be used. I do about a 1:1 ratio. Learned it from my grandmother who makes her "real" gravy this way too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review