Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
"Homos bi Tahini" Authentic hummus recipe
      #70394 - 05/14/04 09:53 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey Everyone,
Well I just realized my church cookbook is a wealth of safe recipes. We are mostly Syrian and Lebanese, and the ladies put out a cookbook every few years. I thought I'd share a few of them, so here's the first:

Homos bi Tahini (Hummus)
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp. lemon juice (juice of two lemons)or more if desired
1/2 c. water
1 clove garlic (optional)
20 oz can chickpeas
4 heaping Tbsp. tahini (sesame paste, find it at most grocery stores or any middle eastern grocery)
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Pour the can of chick peas, liquid and all, into a saucepan. Add enough water to cover the peas. Cook until the skins start to fall off and the chick peas are mushy.
Blend salt, lemon juice and garlic in blender or food processor. Add chick peas and a little bit of the liquid from the pot, and blend. Add tahini and blend again. Keep adding liquid from the pot and the additional until you reach your deisred consistency. Add the olive oil now or save it to drizzle over the top when you serve. If fat doesn't bother you too much, add it now and add more later when you serve it.
May be garnished with chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds, or paprika.
Serve with pita bread or various cut fresh vegetables as an appetizer.

** just a note: The kind of Tahini you use can make a difference. I have been using Krinos brand from the grocery store, and I'm not thrilled with it. It is a little thick for my taste and almost tastes peanut-buttery. But, it is easy to find and if you are not a hummus snob you will probably think it's fine. If you've never used tahini before, make sure you either shake or stir the bottle until it's mixed thorougly, as the oil and paste can sometimes separate.
Also, hummus is somehow always better the second day, after the garlic and lemon really permeate everything.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Homos bi Tahini" Authentic hummus recipe new
      #70400 - 05/14/04 10:00 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I have a lot more safe recipes for soups, salads, and main dishes so if you guys are interested let me know! I am lucky that a lot of the food I grew up on is pretty safe. And, because we are Orthodox Christian and don't eat any animal products during Lent, a ton of the recipes also have vegetarian substitutions already worked out! (Even a lot of traditional lamb recipes can be made with potatoes -- and I'm not kidding, with enough seasoning you can barely tell the difference!)

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#70501 - 05/14/04 02:45 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Thanks so much for this recipe, Amanda! I love hummus and I've been meaning to make some again. I'll try this recipe next time.

I'd love to see some of your recipes! Why not share some other favorites?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#70573 - 05/14/04 09:27 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

This sounds wonderful................but, even if some of us are NOT "Hummus snobs", can you recommend a good Tahini?

Also, by all means, please post your potato-instead-of-lamb recipe. Of course some of us would rather have the lamb any day of the week, but the IBS says "no way".

Kandee

--------------------

Kandee new
      #70616 - 05/15/04 08:21 AM
Kree

Kandee, you know the sad thing? I cheated and had a little bit of lamb at our church's Seder this past April, and it just didn't taste as good to me as it used to. I think I've lost my taste for red meat! Which I suppose is good in some ways because I don't crave it anymore... but it's still sad.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Kree new
      #70652 - 05/15/04 11:01 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have tried steak and I hate the taste of it. Everyone else around here likes it though.

We had a Seder at our church too but we didn't go. We always do something for passover and they always have lamb. It's the only time I have had lamb and I didn't like it. At least the way they make it. That was even pre-IBS. I just don't get it appeal.

Heidi new
      #70674 - 05/15/04 12:00 PM
Kree

I know what you mean! I used to love prime rib too and now it just doesn't appeal to me. It's so fatty! Yuck.

That's neat that your church does a Seder too. I've been going to ours for as long as I can remember and I always loved the lamb... until this year! It must be an acquired taste.

--------------------

Kree new
      #70776 - 05/15/04 09:30 PM
Kandee

What is this, confession time????????????LOL

Ok, here is mine. I went with a friend to a Panda Express..it's a Chinese fast food sorta place. All the chicken was breaded, and I'm wheat allergic.........the all veggie dish looked old and dead so I had tons of white rice and the BBQ'd pork strips. Not one, even tiny attack from it. It tasted good but not good enuf to make a habit of it. And I agree about beef.........used to love it. Now I'd rather have my turkey burger than a hamburger. But...but........I do miss a real egg now and then....and have cheated with an egg (real hard cooked egg) salad sandwich, on GF bread and non-fat mayo (Smart Beat). No attack. If I did that on a regular basis I hate to think what would happen!!

I miss lamb, especially kabobs.............and chops......but maybe I'd think differently if I actually had them..............I dunno..

Kandee

--------------------

Kandee new
      #70855 - 05/16/04 10:10 AM
Kree

Hey, Kandee, we all cheat sometimes... as long as the pork and egg salad didn't bother you it's all good. I hope you feel cleansed now that you've had your confession! Lol.

Yeah, I do miss my pork sometimes too. I always loved pork chops. And speaking of eggs, it's going to be a bummer going to barbecues and not being able to eat deviled eggs this Summer... I LOVE deviled eggs. But I just keep reminding myself how much I hate being stooped over the toilet feeling like I'm going to die... and that keeps me from cheating... most of the time.

--------------------

Deviled Eggs new
      #70865 - 05/16/04 10:39 AM
Kandee

Kree, I'm with you on deviled eggs. When ever I have to bring something to a party/BBQ I bring tons of them. They go fast..............ALL of them, no matter how many I bring.

As for an IBS safe one............ug, I've tried them all...you know, cook the real egg, then some Egg beaters, mash, add FF mayo.................OMG........GROSS!!!! You can't make them palatable no matter WHAT you do. I've decided, since I can do an egg now and then...........and you know, it's the fat in the egg that gets us with the IBS, not anything else in it from what I understand. Anyway, my point IS..... If you make a real deviled egg, with fat free mayo and some spicey brown mustard (how I make mine with just some added salt and pepper) then one half will only be 2.5 grams of fat. Use those lower fat eggs, (I think they have 3 grams of fat per egg) and you could eat 2 halves!!!!

I started out on the egg thing because I LOVE poached eggs. I ask you, how do you poach Egg Beaters? No way. Anyway, I'd poach one, eat the entire egg white but only half the yolk..........it worked, no attack!!!

Soooo, you may want to make your OWN deviled EGG (note that was singular not plural...LOL) and see how you do.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review