Pages: 1
Mock Tuna Salad
      #70117 - 05/13/04 11:07 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Mock Tuna Salad
(Makes 3-4 servings)

You don't have to be vegetarian to enjoy this delicious sandwich filling! I think I like it better than real tuna salad! Plus it's been very safe for me since the beans are mashed.

Ingredients:
1 (15-16 ounce) can chickpeas, mashed (garbanzo beans)
2 Tablespoons light or fat-free mayonnaise
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1 Tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 green onions, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon finely minced yellow onion, optional

1. In a medium bowl, combine mashed chick peas, mayonnaise, mustard, relish, chopped green onions, salt, pepper, and yellow onion (if desired).
2. Mix well.

Note: My mother can't have raw onions so I omit them and add some onion powder.

Recipe from Charmed on www.recipezaar.com

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mock Tuna Salad new
      #70128 - 05/13/04 11:24 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Gee, Thanks Kree for posting this one. I have to eat a low iodine diet right now so that means no fish. This would be a good sub, however, I've never found a pickle relish that doesn't use HFCS, have you? I'm the same way with raw onions but onion powder is ok. When I first read it, it sounded like a pickley lower fat hummus to me..lol. I Love chickpeas/garbanzos (any beans) so it doesn't matter what it's called. Kandee

PS. Have you tried cooking with any Fennel bulbs? Not the seeds just the bulb? If so did it have the same affect as the seeds keeping the bloating factor down? I've been seeing recipes here and there using roasted fennel, but if it tastes like licorice, no thank you.

--------------------

Re: Mock Tuna Salad new
      #70220 - 05/13/04 04:21 PM
Kree

Yeah, it is very hummus-like... that's probably why I like it so much! I have to admit that I never checked the ingredients on relish because I've never noticed it bothering me. I'm not ultra-sensative to HFCS, luckily. I'm sure it would work fine if you just chopped up some sweet pickles like Gerkins instead!

No, I've never cooked with any kind of fennel! I've wanted to try it but just haven't gotten around to it. But as soon as I do I'll let you know! I don't think I'd like it if it were too licoricey either.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Fennel Bulbs new
      #70733 - 05/15/04 06:12 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi!

I've cooked with fennel bulbs. They do have a very subtle anise (licorice) flavor. You might not even notice, depending on how flavorful your sauce is. However, if you really hate anise, you could probably substitute some celery as it is the same color and texture (if you can handle it).

Happy experimenting!

sperry_twiggins

Re: Fennel Bulbs new
      #70775 - 05/15/04 09:21 PM
Kandee

Thanks ST, That is EXACTLY what I was wondering, since the recipe I saw, (I think it was in a Sunset magazine) had roasted fennel and no sauce, it would, for sure have that "anise-y" taste. Celery root might be a nice alternative. Thanks for suggestion. Yes I can handle all sorts of high insoluble fiber foods now, where I couldn't 6 months ago. I lay claim to the help of Heather's diet and introducing those foods at a nice slow pace, with little amounts here and there so the body got used to them. I can even do beans and salads now where before I would run from them.

Kandee

--------------------

#70838 - 05/16/04 09:06 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Glad to help! Just to clarify - I'm suggesting celery, not necessarily celery root (I'm not really familiar with celery root) as a sub. Can you roast celery root? Let me know how it turns out, okay?

I'm so curious what that recipe was you were looking at, but I don't want to put you to a lot of work. Maybe if you find it, you can just say which issue it was in and I can look it up in the library. :-)

sperry_twiggins

Insolubles! new
      #70857 - 05/16/04 10:13 AM
Kree

I'm with you, Kandee, I'm sooo glad I've finally been able to start eating some insolubles again. It took almost a year, but I've started eating peas and green beans. I've even gotten into garbanzo beans lately! Isn't it a great feeling??

--------------------

#70866 - 05/16/04 10:44 AM
Kandee

ST, I will look for the recipe and either post it or email it to you. I really thought you meant celery root not plain celery. Hmmm, I've never grilled celery, but I don't know why you couldn't. I'm not familiar with celery root either..had it a long time ago, and can't remember the exact taste but think it has a slightly celery taste.....it looks like a big old ugly potato.

Oh, you make me want to fire up the grill, and grill as many veggies as I can get my hands on!!!

Kandee

--------------------

#70963 - 05/16/04 05:33 PM
Kandee

Hi ST, I looked and looked but must have thrown the magazine out already. In the meantime here are some I found on the net. I see they almost always use onion with it or potatoes or both. Interesting. Is that the way you made them? Here is what I found:
http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes/mar01_5.2.htm
http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/general/roasted-fennel-onions
http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_19455,00.html

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4383

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review