All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bread
      #58989 - 04/07/04 08:53 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for plain old white bread??? Ive been looking at the bakery by my house and none of the breads are dairy free so I was wondering if I could just make my own! The health food store is far from my house...please help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bread new
      #59889 - 04/10/04 08:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Do you need one for a bread machine or regular? If you're using a bread machine, this one from HanSolo is good: Breadmaker French Bread

Homemade Italian Bread new
      #59944 - 04/10/04 11:25 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Here's one in case you DON'T have a bread machine! It's time consuming but very yummy! It's called Italian Bread but it's a lot denser than I normally think of Italian bread as being.

Homemade Italian Bread
(Makes 2 loaves)

7 1/4-7 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages fast-rising active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups water (110 degrees)
1 tablespoon salt
yellow cornmeal
1 slightly beaten egg white

1. In large mixer bowl, combine 3 c of flour and the yeast.
2. Combine the water and salt.
3. Add to the dry mixture.
4. Beat at low speed for 30 seconds, scrapping the sides constantly.
5. Beat at high for 3 minutes.
6. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a very stiff dough.
7. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and very elastic (15-25 minutes).
8. Shape into a ball.
9. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough.
10. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (about 1 hour).
11. Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
12. Divide the dough in half.
13. Cover with the bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
14. Roll each half into a 15x12 inch rectangle.
15. Beginning at the long side of the rectangle, roll the dough up tightly, sealing as you roll.
16. Taper the ends of the loaf.
17. Spray 2 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle them each with cornmeal.
18. Place each loaf diagonally seam side down, on baking sheets.
19. Make diagonal cuts 2 1/2 inches apart (1/8 to 1/4 inch deep) on the tops of the loaves.
20. Add tablespoon of water to the beaten egg white and brush over the top and sides of the loaves.
21. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (about 20-45 minutes--I think it took twice as long for me!).
22. When ready to bake, place a large shallow pan on the lower rack of the oven and fill with boiling water.
23. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, brush with the egg white mixture.
24. Bake 20 minutes longer.
25. Cool on a rack.
26. Tips: Raising tip: In a cold oven, place the dough on the top rack.
27. On the rack beneath, place a pan filled with very hot water then close the door.
28. This will create a warm, draftless environment for raising your dough.
29. Temp: be sure to use a thermometer to test the temp of the liquids before adding to the yeast.
30. Temperature is very critical– too cold and the yeast won't activate, too hot and they die– either way the bread will not raise.

Recipe by Mysterygirl at www.recipezaar.com

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Homemade Italian Bread new
      #59947 - 04/10/04 11:43 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Kree,

I can see why you think the bread is "denser" than it should be. Salt inhibits the growth of the yeast and development of gluten, and sugar enhances it. Cut your salt in half and add a tablespoon of sugar (or honey) and you'll be amazed at the difference. Should cut down the rising time, too.

Oh, and rising ... I turn the oven on till it's barely warm (stick your hand in there, it should be comfortable) and then put the bread in there and shut the door. Turn the light on.

Also, on #6 you say to use enough flour for a very stiff dough. The idea is to use as little flour as possible, thereby keeping the dough light and airy and not dense and heavy. It's the kneading and the development of the gluten in the dough that makes it smooth -- not more flour. Also, note on 10-11 in your instructions, you can let the bread rise another time (or three or four!) and it will just get better.

One more: how to tell if your bread's done in the oven. Turn it over and look at it. Another good reason to use glass pans! You know what the bottom of a loaf of bread looks like when it's done. Brown, but not too dark, and not too blonde. You know what it looks like when it's just right. Recipes will lie, and timers will lie, and the top crust may even lie, but the bottom of the loaf will not lie to you about when it's time to take the bread out of the oven.

Re: Homemade GARLIC Bread new
      #59951 - 04/10/04 11:49 AM
KellyAndersson

p.s.

When you get to the stage where you have the dough pressed out flat and are rolling it up into a loaf, you can spread it with olive oil and minced garlic before you roll it up.

Or romano cheese and chopped spinach. Or flax seed meal. Or honey and cinnamon. Or poached salmon and dill weed. Or diced cooked chicken and mashed avocado and minced celery. Or ... you get the idea.

Re: bread new
      #59954 - 04/10/04 12:00 PM
KellyAndersson

abby, you might also ask the manager at the bakery about this. If I ran a bakery and someone told me they wanted to buy bread with no dairy in it, I'd be making some the very same day with a nice label on it. If plain old white bread with no milk sounds boring (to you or them), ask them to make you some potato bread. [yum]
You are not the only person in the world who can't have dairy product and if they know it's an issue they'll likely make some bread for you with no cow in it.
k.

Thanks for the tips! new
      #59965 - 04/10/04 01:49 PM
Kree

Wow, Kelly, thanks for the tips! As an amateur breadmaker I really appreciate it. I take it you've been baking breads for a while??

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Knee new
      #59971 - 04/10/04 02:26 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

HI Knee everytime I go in my kitchen I see you. Gerry

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

#59989 - 04/10/04 03:42 PM
Kree

And you still have an appetite?? Lol.

--------------------

#60367 - 04/12/04 11:04 AM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

You are a very pretty young girl.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review