All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
breakfast ideas
      #537 - 02/07/03 04:12 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I have one: I like grits cooked in the microwave and flavored with a pinch of salt, a pat of butter, and a few spoonfuls of jam. Sugar or honey is good, too, in place of jam. I used to eat a lot of oatmeal but it sometimes made my stomach hurt (even though I know it's supposed to be safe), so now I stick to grits when I want hot cereal. What do other people eat for a quick breakfast?

Oh, I thought of one more: Kellogg's Pop-Tarts (but not the Kroger generics) are dairy-free--and I can eat them in class.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breakfast ideas new
      #4661 - 03/31/03 04:00 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Grits are delicious! I eathier eat rice and saltines or
cornflakes with lactaid milk, sourdough bread, pretzles, half a pop tart, and applesauce with ensure and water
(a big breakfast fan)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: breakfast ideas new
      #4749 - 04/01/03 05:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Don't laugh too hard--but what are grits? Thanks guys!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: breakfast ideas/www.foodsubs.com new
      #4769 - 04/01/03 10:12 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here's from web page

hominy grits = grits = corn grits Notes: This Southern staple is made from hominy or plain corn that's been ground until it has the consistency of coarse sand. It's used as a side dish, a breakfast cereal, or as an ingredient in baked goods. Varieties include quick-cooking grits and instant grits. Substitutes: polenta meal (This is corn that's often stone-ground, so that it retains the nutritious germ.) OR buckwheat grits OR barley grits

BTW: If anyone needs to look something up, this website is great! I found it a couple of weeks ago & I've used it for the boards as well as my own use. You can look up all types of foods & it even lists substitutions for everything...very convenient!

"The Cook's Thesaurus is a cooking encyclopedia that covers thousands of ingredients and kitchen tools. Entries include pictures, descriptions, synonyms, pronunciations, and suggested substitutions." Their website is www.foodsubs.com

Re: Thanks Mags!!!!!!!!!!!!! -nt_ new
      #4805 - 04/01/03 02:40 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: breakfast ideas-pop tart new
      #4816 - 04/01/03 04:01 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

TessLouis,
Arnt Pop Tarts Usually packed with High Fructrose Corn Syrup?
Did you know Quaker oats makes a pop tart? Its crust is made with oatmeal and its packed with strawberry jam. MMMM. I can handle them more than the kelloggs pop tarts

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: breakfast ideas/www.foodsubs.com new
      #4828 - 04/01/03 05:10 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

That foodsubs page is great! Actually, I never knew what grits were until I came down to the States either -- haven't had the experience yet, although there's still lots of time.

Re: breakfast ideas-pop tart Angela new
      #4857 - 04/01/03 06:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Angela,

Is high fructose corn syrup a possible trigger--that could exaplin some triggers I couldn't exaplin before?!?! Thanks!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: breakfast ideas-pop tart Angela new
      #4858 - 04/01/03 06:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Fructose (fruit sugar) can cause cramps, diarrhea, bloating, and gas. It's found in highest quantities in bottled fruit juices, commercial beverages (like soda pop) and commercial foods that use it as a sweetener (like the pop tarts). Most people tolerate it in small quantities, but some people are so sensitive that even a little bit can set them off. And just about everyone with IBS will react to larger quantities.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: breakfast ideas-pop tart Heather new
      #4859 - 04/01/03 06:31 PM
Snow for Sarala

I always get all the sugars confused! I've read your book (I should start taking it everywhere I go--ever think of making a pocket sized version? Table sugar is the one you say is ok...and that's sucrose, right? All the other oses are possible triggers? Hopefully I'll get this cleared up once and for all! Thanks so much Heather!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review