Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Lemon Chicken Soup
      #45762 - 02/19/04 03:19 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Another from First for Women:

Lemon Chicken Soup

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 6 oz. each)
1 Tbs olive oil
3 scallions, sliced diagonally
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 carrots, diced
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) FF chicken broth
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup long-grain rice
3 Tbs. chopped dill

In saucepot over medium heat, cook chicken in oil 15 min., turning once. Remove chicken; cool. Cook scallions, garlic and carrots in drippings 3 min. Add broth, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 29 min. Shred chicken. Stir chicken and dill into soup; heat.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Mags?? Scallions?? new
      #45769 - 02/19/04 03:56 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

This sounds good, now scallions are some sort of seafood right? I'm not big on seafood...so I'm guessing it wouldn't be a big deal to leave this out, OR would it?

Thanks!

--------------------

Re: Mags?? Scallions?? new
      #45770 - 02/19/04 04:04 PM
*Melissa*

Oh no! They're green onions!

I think you're thinking of scallops.

Scallions new
      #45771 - 02/19/04 04:05 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Actually, scallions are green onions - just a fancy name.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Lemon Chicken Soup new
      #45776 - 02/19/04 04:21 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh, this sounds sssoooo good, my girlfriend was just telling me the other day about a lemon chicken soup she had a a greek resturant. I'll have to make this one for her.... she just had a baby and is way too tired to cook.... her hubby is a fishermam and is away until May........

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#45779 - 02/19/04 04:45 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Shell, that's cool that your friend had a lemon chicken soup at a Greek restaurant! I have a friend in Athens, and I recently made her recipe for Chicken Soup (Greek, with Avgolemono - egg/lemon sauce)... it was interesting! She said the egg/lemon sauce was pretty common over there. It had a very different flavor.

Mags, this soup does look scrumptious!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#266485 - 05/30/06 04:48 PM
KimSki

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Indiana

I made this soup for my family. It has wonderful flavor, but wasn't very "soupy". I was wondering, if the broth and chicken amounts were correct (two 6 oz. chicken breasts=12 oz. of meat & about 4 cups broth)? I used not quite a Tbsp of dried dill. Also, I cooked mine longer than "29 minutes" and the rice was still crunchy. I was wondering if anyone else has also tried this. Thank you.

Edited by KimSki (05/30/06 06:11 PM)

#266509 - 05/30/06 06:26 PM
*Melissa*

I don't have that magazine anymore to check if there's a typo, and I've never tried making it. Hopefully someone else tried it and will have some feedback for you. Otherwise the only thing I would suggest is maybe add more broth. Or we could just say this recipe was a dud and just scratch it!

#266609 - 05/31/06 07:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I haven't made this recipe, but I have made a very similar one posted by Kree ( here). If I'm doing my math right, Kree's version works out to about 1 cup of liquid per chicken breast which would make it even thicker than Melissa's version, so I think this is supposed to be a very, very thick soup. More stuff with a little liquid than liquid with a little stuff.

I prefer mine more soupy, so when I make Kree's version, I use a lot more liquid - 4 cups per chicken breast, half water, half chicken broth. I would think you could do the same with Melissa's version. I use plain old Uncle Ben's rice and it always cooks fine.

I actually hadn't seen this recipe before, but now that I have, I'm going to have to make it. My husband loves Kree's soup, but he also loves dill, and this version combines both. Unfortunate, since I'm not a big dill fan myself.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#266620 - 05/31/06 08:58 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Do you think you could add cornstarch to this to thickn it up even more? I really love the Greek version of chicken lemon soup and this sounds alot like it!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review