#45092 - 02/15/04 11:51 AM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

*Vegan Mozzarella Cheese*

1 cup water
2 small cloves roasted garlic
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 - 2 T tahini (the larger amount makes it cheesier)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 T quick-cooking rolled oats
1 T arrowroot (or cornstarch)
1/8 t dry mustard
1.5 t onion powder
1/2 t salt, or salt-free seasoning

nutritonal yeast
a few toasted and pulverized almonds (optional)

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and process until completely smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. Pour or spoon over assembled pizza, sprinkle with nutritional yeast (and optional almonds, if desired), and heat in the oven according to your pizza recipe instructions.
Cook the sauce until you reach the consistency you want - it will thicken right up to a spread if you let it. If you're going to have it sit while you assemble the pizza, stop cooking when it's a little on the thin side and cover the pot. It thickens as it cools.

Unprocessed Cheeze Sauce

1 med potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 med carrot, scraped and coarsley chopped
1 med onion, coarsely chopped
1 c water

1/2 c Mori-Nu lite silked tofu, drained and crumbled
1/2 c nutritional yeast flakes
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp onion granules
1/4 tsp garlic granules

Place the potato, carrot, onion, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a blender along with the remaining ingredients. Process until velvety smooth. Serve immediately or return to a saucepan or fondue pot to keep warm.

*Tofu Cream Cheese* *Vegan Mozzarella Cheese*

1 cup extra firm (MoriNu 1% fat) silken tofu
1.5 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 T brown rice syrup, or 1 t pure maple syrup
1.5 t low-sodium tamari
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t nutritional yeast flakes

Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes (to draw out extra moisture). Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until completely smooth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavours to blend, and thereafter store in the fridge.
Variations:

*Herbed Cream Cheese*
Add: 1 clove minced garlic
1/4 t dried dill
1/4 t dried rosemary
1/4 t dried thyme
1/4 t parsley flakes

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: wanted to kno if these "cheese" recipies were ok new
      #45098 - 02/15/04 12:22 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Allie, I don't have the foggiest idea if this is safe or not. (I hope Heather pops in on this one.) It sure looks safe to me. The only thing I'd question is the fat in the tahini, but since you don't use that much it doesn't seem a problem.

If this works as a Moz cheese sub it is amazing. I think most of the cooks here would rather by the soy or rice sub.

Wonder if there's a sub for the nutritional yeast. (I couldn't use it.)
And for me, there's no sub for tofu.........darnit.

You can tell just how advanced you are in the cooking department. Who else would be bringing up these types of questions? I mean, I too saw the recipe somewhere for the marshmallows (since HFCS is lethal to me) and thought, oh yeah, I don't need marshmallows quite THAT bad.

I hope you are able to follow your dream, dispite the IBS. It will be the only thing you're happy doing. Just think, you could open a place in a large city that caters to people with special needs, train the other chefs to be knowledgable in those area and get grand reviews for being so inovative.

Then we can all say, "we knew her when....".

--------------------

Re: wanted to kno if these "cheese" recipies were ok new
      #45102 - 02/15/04 12:52 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

They appear to be Ibs safe ingredients.Heather will have to query on this one. Well looking at the recipe index there are some similar recipes for appetizers. They look very yummy. Thanks for sharing.

These look just fine... new
      #45115 - 02/15/04 02:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I have a whole cookbook on making non-dairy cheese (I think it's called the Uncheese Cookbook) but I haven't actually tried the recipes yet - they look a lot like these, and the cookbook got great reviews.

If you try them, let us know what you think. I've always wanted to give stuff like this a whirl but just haven't gotten around to it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3095

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review