Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pie crust idea for anyone in Oz
      #404 - 02/04/03 08:38 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
I live in Australia and as other aussies have probably found we cannot get Graham Crackers. What I usually do for the pie crusts in heather's recipe is buy a packet of White Wings biscuit base. To make sure it stays low fat I ignore the packet instructions of making it up with butter etc and instead I make it up with 2 Tbspoons of Canola Oil and 2 Tbspoons of IXL unsweetened apple sce. It works really well for me and tastes great especially with the Vermont maple Pie which is one of my favourites. Hope this helps!

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey this is fabulous! new
      #406 - 02/04/03 08:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Thanks for sharing! I've been stumped for UK and Australia ideas to replace grahams, as I'm not really sure what the alternatives are. Your idea sounds great.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Pie crust idea for anyone in Oz new
      #408 - 02/04/03 08:56 PM
ajc

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: australia

Hi - I too live in Australia and would really apreciate some more tips from fellow Aussies for some 'tummy friendly' meals and especially snacks!

#447 - 02/05/03 07:49 PM
Trish

Loc: Australia

HI from a fellow Aussie!

I eat lots of stir fries, but I make sure I use much more rice or pasta than I would have before IBS! And, I cut the vegies up small (this was a tip from Heather). I make great homemade pizza and I found this wonderful soy cheese in Coles called vege cheese. It grates beautifully and I grate that over the pizza. I use heaps of vegies on the base with bottled tomato sauce. I eat rice crackers with hommus as well for a snack and lots of bread. There is a soy margarine that coles make as well. I found Freedom Foods make baked corn chips but I haven't tried them, I might in the future, they are expensive though. Twinings make a lovely camomile & spearmint tea and their peppermint tea is lovely as well. I have been making Heather's breads and freezing them and having them for lunch or a snack. My 17 yr old son loves them! I have made the lemon one which is to die for, the pecan, lime and cinnamon one (yum) and the pumpkin, apple, spice one. I had to cook the pumpkin up as we don't have canned pumpkin, it was very nice and made two loaves. I am learning all the time!

Trish

#448 - 02/05/03 07:56 PM
ajc

Loc: australia

That's great - thank you! Just normal pizza bases you use, presumably?
Peppermint tea is my lifesaver - i drink so much of it - i find it really good to stabilise my tummy!
You are right though - it is all about trial and error, isn't it!
Can you eat pork? I used to be able to eat it, with no problems, but in the past few months every time i eat it (and believe me, that has ceased!) i was getting violently ill, yet to eat ham i seem to be not too bad!
thanks again - it's nice to have some more tips!
mandy

#455 - 02/05/03 11:13 PM
emmab

Reged: 01/25/03

Yet another aussie!!

I think my diet must be close to identical to yours Trish! Snap!

I love freedom food stuff (I've seen their low fat biscuits in the health food section at coles - their gluten free stuff is good but I can't eat it now...too much fat, well it wouldn't be if I could only stop at one!), and I've found Orgran is an excellent brand. Their buckwheat pancake mix is my sunday morning special with mango and maple syrup, Yum! It says to add an egg, but I don't bother, their just as good with just soy milk.

I love that vege cheese too. But I wish we could get the soy parmesan heather talks about!

Does anyone know a good soy yogurt?? I can't find a plain one anywhere. I'm thinking mustard yogurt on grilled fish mmm..

Does anyone know of a wheat free version of a bisuit base?? I've have been totally stumped on that for ages!

Emma

#457 - 02/06/03 02:45 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

A quick answer to the soy yoghurt question - I like soy life vanilla creme flavour.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#476 - 02/06/03 01:58 PM
Trish

I think the so good soy yoghurt is supposed to be good, the plain one. I will ask my daughter as she is a vegetarian and only eats soy stuff. I will have to try some of the things you suggested. Do you like pizza? Cos I have been buying dough from a bakery and then topping it with lots of different vegies. I love pizza and I think I missed this the most when I first started the IBS diet. But, with perseverance I am getting to make quite a good vege pizza!

#479 - 02/06/03 03:50 PM
Trish

I haven't tried pork and I don't eat ham anymore, I might try it in at some stage. Not sure though. I have gone off all red meat which I don't miss at all! I use store bought pizza bases or make my own.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 446 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review