All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Another Chocoholic Recipe (Low fat, too!)
      #3983 - 03/24/03 04:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I dedicate this one to my heroes: Heather and Sharon.
Hot Fudge Monday (a brownie in its own chocolate syrup and is ridiculously easy to make)

CAKE:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup soy milk (recipe calls for skim but I substituted and it worked just fine)
2 tbsp vegetable oil

SAUCE:
1 cup unpacked brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups boiling water.
Preheat oven to 350. Combine cake's dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, mix milk and oil. Add to cake dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Pour batter in the bottom of an ungreased 8X8 baking pan. Spread evenly.

In a small bowl, mix together sauces' sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle mixture over batter. Pour boiling water over top. DO NOT STIR! Bake 40 - 45 minutes, until top of cake feels dry to touch. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 pieces. Spoon sauce from bottom of pan over cake.

Per serving: 285 calories, 5.7 g fat, 58.1 g carbs, 4 g protein, 234mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol 17% calories from fat. Taken from Looney Spoons by Janet and Greta Podleski (GRANET publishing)

FYI - this recipe doubles easily for a crowd and serves more than it says. The 6 servings are VERY big pieces. For the doubled recipe, use a 9X13 pan and cook a wee bit longer - just make sure the cake is done. For NON IBSers, frozen yogurt/ice cream goes great with this. Poor sods. I tell myself it takes away room from the chocolate sauce.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another Chocoholic Recipe (Low fat, too!) new
      #3985 - 03/24/03 04:26 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You're making my mouth water!!

I've made this! new
      #3995 - 03/24/03 05:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I have this exact (almost) same recipe! And it is fabulous! Just like a super rich brownie with hot fudge sauce. Oh my..now I'm drooling...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Me too! -nt- new
      #3996 - 03/24/03 05:18 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

#4038 - 03/25/03 08:06 AM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

HS - this looks sinful. Thanks. Like I said before, SO MANY RECIPES, SO LITTLE TIME!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4425 - 03/28/03 03:07 PM
SharonMello

HanSolo - you are just too hysterical!!! Thanx for the compliment, but there are other people more worthy of that title than me (I'll let Heather speak for herself)!

I will try this recipe when I get back from S.D. These chocolate recipes are driving me batty--you guys are killers LOL!
I probably have more chocolate running in my veins than blood.

Right now, I have two kinds of chocolate cookies and chocolate zucchini cake in my freezer. Last night I had some FF froz yogurt with FF chocolate fudge sauce over it and I just finished a piece of choc zucc cake for my afternoon snack. Whew! I LOVE CHOCOLATE!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#6606 - 04/20/03 07:45 PM
SharonMello

HS - thanks for the dedication. I made this today and WOW, was it good. I changed it a little more to decrease the WW points and got it down to 5.5 points from 7 points. I cut down on the sugar because sugar really makes the points accumulate.

So, my little Canadian mommy, thank you again. Dan's going to have it with lite ice cream and I'll have it straight. Wouldn't want that ol' ice cream to take up chocolate space, right? LOL!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#268686 - 06/10/06 04:12 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Han,
Thanks hun, but this isn't it, I checked it out also. It's missing the non-caffeinated coffee powder and the acacia powder in the ingredient list. The recipe directions were different too. I bet, I just remembered where I found it, though! I think it was in one of Heather's IBS Newsletters!! I saved it in my e-mail and I'm going to run and check for it now! *lol* Here I am panicking for no reason.

(3 mins later:) Ah hah! I found it! In one of Heather's IBS newsletters sent Feb 7, 2006! I copied/pasted it. I know Heather made us a Newsletter Archive, too, so it should probably be in there also in one of the sticky posts under the "IBS Recipe Exchange" board.

Ultimate Chocolate Pudding Brownies

This recipe makes a rich, gooey, divinely dark chocolate brownie with its own hot fudge pudding sauce built right in! You'd never guess it's low fat, dairy free, and comes together in just ten minutes of kitchen time.

The key substitutions for good digestion are soy milk for dairy and unsweetened cocoa powder (which is very low fat and caffeine free) in place of solid chocolate. The small amount of decaf instant coffee powder should be very tolerable in the brownie's soluble fiber base, but you can also simply omit it and the end result will still be delicious!

Makes 8 servings

1 C granulated sugar, divided
1 C all-purpose unbleached flour
2 T Acacia Tummy Fiber (optional)
1/4 t salt
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Hershey's), divided
2 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 C canola oil
1/2 C soy or rice milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 T decaffeinated instant coffee powder (optional)
1 C boiling water

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat an 8" or 9" square baking pan with cooking oil spray.

In a large bowl, sift and whisk together 2/3 C of the sugar, the flour, Tummy Fiber, salt, 1/4 C of the cocoa, baking powder, and cinnamon. Whisk well to blend. Stir in the oil, soy milk, and vanilla (batter will be stiff). Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 C sugar and 1/4 C cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter. Dissolve the coffee powder (if using) into the boiling water, and pour water over the cake. Do not stir.

Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the top of the cake looks crisp and crackled. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and serve warm.

Thank you again Han and thanks to the rest of you for putting up with my frantic nature. :P

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12127

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review