All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what to do with eggplant?
      #353200 - 12/14/09 04:02 PM

Unregistered

is eggplant well tolerated? I was curious wat one tasted like so I bought one. I don't have ingredients to make heather's eggplant recipe,plus the lemon juice in her recipe would be too much for me,I think. So do I just peel it and cook it in a little olive oil and put it on a pizza with soy cheese? have no idea.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Practical Suggestion new
      #353220 - 12/15/09 10:52 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

It is never wise to purchase a grocery item and have no idea what to do with it. The way to shop is to have your recipe in hand, check what ingredients you already have on hand, and shop for the rest on the same day. Then you are ready to proceed. Doing this backwards only feeds the trash can and wastes money.

There are LOTS of recipes on the Recipe Exchange and specific items can be found by doing a SEARCH of that board. There are recipes there that include eggplant, and there are also bread recipes. One does not need a bread machine to make bread, and grandma never had one. She made bread all the time with great success without any bread machine. She used her hands.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Practical Suggestion new
      #353222 - 12/15/09 11:09 AM

Unregistered

I do make a list and see what I have already and don't have. I write down the recipes I'm making,just the names for that day. But I bring up the recipes on my computer and look through them,when I'm unsure wheather I have something or not,or not enough for a recipe,I go look in the kitchen. I just was curious about eggplant,and picked it up wanted to taste one for myself,but never cooked one,I did do a search and I really didn't find anything except some people saying its a trigger for them or they can eat it...

what's hard for me is figuring out if I cooked enough food on my 2 days off for the week until my next days off.Also,sometimes I will cook something and be fine with it then but sometimes becaue my ibs is touchy I tend to not eat the recipes or only a little then it gets old and most of it thrown out then eat really plain,fat free saltines,potatoes,rice chex,banana,I add only a little IF like a little tomato sauce on some of the crackers or potato,or chicken/fat free turkey hamburger with a piece of soy cheese.

Edited by aperson (12/15/09 11:17 AM)

#353226 - 12/15/09 12:01 PM
Windchimes

Obviously cooking ahead is not working for you.

Given you work evenings, you could prepare something simple for yourself during the day for an early evening meal before you go to work, and on days off fix something to eat that is not time-consuming at all. On days off, perhaps make a simple pasta dish (or other casserole) in the morning to be baked in the oven later, or put on a pot of chicken soup, spaghetti sauce, etc. and allow it to simmer in a crock pot / slow cooker all day. If you don't have a slow cooker, one can be purchased very inexpensively and far less costly than throwing away food week after week.

It doesn't appear that you are in the right place on your search for recipes. You won't get the information you described from the Recipe Exchange, you will get recipes!

You may have to adapt some of them to your own tastes and triggers, though that isn't difficult to do at all.

Unless you are making soups, sauces, chili, etc that you can freeze, it's best to prepare your main meal fresh every day and keep it simple. This way you can also manage what you can and cannot handle on any given day.

There are many staple foods you can keep on hand in your pantry (bedroom, if necessary) that work well when seasoned to taste. Rice is a good staple for starters. I cook rice 1-2 times a week and put it in a zipper bag in the frig so that I always have cooked rice on hand for recipes or eating on the side. It keeps for days and warms nicely in the microwave.

There is no point in wasting money on fresh foods when you don't know how to prepare, don't have all of the ingredients, nor if you will be able to eat them before they spoil.

--------------------

#353227 - 12/15/09 12:07 PM

Unregistered

when I try cooking on days I must work its always a disaster,I can't finish the recipe because i can't stay out of the toilet,feel awful and debilitated,then I just want to spend my time drinking heather's teas and relaxing that's why I cook at night on my days off. Thank you for your suggestions. Once I get my ibs more under control I don't think not eating the food I make will be a problem anymore.

Lots of eggplant recipes at this site new
      #353328 - 12/18/09 02:37 PM
Windchimes

I just received my January 2010 issue of Family Circle. In it is a wonderful recipe for 'Panko-Crusted Eggplant Parmesan' with a nice photo of the finished dish. There is very little change needed to adapt this one to IBS-safe, and those changes are elementary and obvious.

Here is a link from the Family Circle / Parents Magazine website with dozens of eggplant recipes and photos:

http://www.parents.com/recipes/searchResults.jsp?start=1&searchType=text&searchTerm=eggplant&_requestid=173154

Perhaps you can find an eggplant recipe there that you would like to try. If so, make sure you have all of the ingredients gathered before you start the recipe.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8613

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review