All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
kids ,diet, menus
      #3037 - 03/17/03 02:24 PM
kidswithIBS

Reged: 03/17/03
Loc: Ill, USA

OK i have one child with diagnosed IBS and one whose stomach hurts for the last 5 weeks. and 3 semi normal ones . I have tried the diet nad agree it works but dh and kids fuss about eating new stuff and there are too many leftovers...yadayadayada. any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Any moms on here with ideas for this? new
      #3144 - 03/18/03 12:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Kid-friendly and IBS-safe foods, recipes, suggestion? I always think of stocking up at a health food store on the healthy versions of junk foods kids love - soy dogs, soy chicken nuggets, baked chips, soy or rice ice cream, gardenburgers, etc. There were recent newsletter recipes for tuna casserole, pancakes, chicken pot pie, brownies, bread pudding - those seem pretty likely to make kids happy. They're posted at web page

I was an odd little kid who liked ethnic and spicy foods and hated the all-American stuff, so I'm not a great resource for questions on this topic.

Can someone help out?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: kids ,diet, menus new
      #3163 - 03/18/03 01:53 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

What do your kids like? I have been trying to think of somethings but my kids love bologna, cheese, hot dogs and mac n cheese. They don't have Ibs so if they won't eat what we eat then they don't eat or sometimes I will make them a hot dog. This is a different situation. Can they eat spagetti? We eat a lot of rice and they love it. If they like hamburgers you can always make or buy ckicken or turkey burgers. Veggie dogs aren't bad. Oh you know what else is good is grilled cheese. I spray bread with canola spray and use soy cheese and then cook it on my electric frying pan. We will do that and tomato soup for a quick dinner. They love tomato soup. Kids can sometimes be so different.

Re: kids ,diet, menus new
      #3168 - 03/18/03 02:04 PM
kidswithIBS

Reged: 03/17/03
Loc: Ill, USA

what do they like? hamburger helper, rice a roni, chicken , bologna-but hamb helper is fattning even with turkey in it. as is lunchmeat plus it has nitrates in it. I tried balsami rice :I think thats right. also arborito rice but they fuss about the taste unlike rice a roni its not near as salty. 1 of them likes salad,and peanut butter. my dd has IBS and GERD so spagetti is out. my dh says I don't cook beans enough and he's a big meat eater. He says I should cook 2 meals one for them and one for us. I really don't have the time to do that.

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? - Didn't have kids... new
      #3322 - 03/19/03 11:47 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Everybody - I never had kids so I don't know what they like or think they don't like. I'm not a good source on this one.

Shron

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? new
      #3365 - 03/19/03 05:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kids LOVE fingerfood--I don't know much yet about IBS meals--but if there's a way to make a meal into fingerfood--they'll eat it up (in my experience anyway). I teach five years old--they bring anything from chocolate sandwhiches (no joke!) to pasta to bagels to pizza (a lot of pizza)--mostly sandwhiches and things they can hold in their hand! I don't know if this works--but maybe cut their food in food shapes (how old are they?) and that will get them to eat their food? Hope this is helpful! Good luck!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Chicken Nuggets/Oven Fries new
      #3376 - 03/19/03 05:44 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey! Ruchie talking of finger foods just reminded me of one of my own favs. I don't have any kids, but I like this myself. I make homemade chicken nuggets & oven fries.

Just cut up chicken breasts into bite size pieces (I like to use kitchen shears), or you could probably do strips like chicken fingers, shake in a bag with bread crumbs, & bake. Super fast too--they're done in like 10 min or so!

For potato wedges/fries, cut up potatoes, toss with teeny bit of oil (or I think you can use Pam too) bake, and voila! These take longer than the chicken, so I'd start these first. You can even season them & have different kinds, but I'm pretty much a plane jane...just give me a little salt & the ketchup and I'm a happy camper!

Hope this helps!

Mags

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? new
      #3378 - 03/19/03 05:46 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

How about using cookie cutters to cut the bread/sandwiches into different "things"? That might get them to eat.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? Sharon new
      #3381 - 03/19/03 05:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

EXACTLY what I pictured!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Edited by Ruchie (03/19/03 05:51 PM)

Re: Chicken Nuggets/Oven Fries new
      #3384 - 03/19/03 06:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Mags,

This sounds YUMMY! Thakns bunches!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45332

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review