All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oven-Fried Catfish (Southern Living)
      #291240 - 11/25/06 12:32 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is from Southern Living Ultimate Quick and Easy Cookbook, copyright 2004. There are some similar catfish recipes on the Board but this one was quite good so I figured I'd post it. I was nervous about using the cornflake crumbs - I thought the dish would be sweet - but they worked great.

I actually find the bottom layer of catfish to taste quite muddy (which is logical enough, I suppose) so the next time I make this I'll try it with another inexpensive white fish, probably tilapia.

Oven-Fried Catfish
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook: 21 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
2 cups cornflake cereal {I used 3/4 cup cornflake crumbs}
3/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper {I used 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper instead}
Dash of black pepper
4 (6-ounce) skinless catfish fillets, halved

Place cereal in a zip-top freezer bag. Seal and crush to measure 3/4 cup crumbs using a meat mallet or rolling pin. {I got to skip this step since I started with the crumbs}

Combine crumbs, celery salt, onion powder, red pepper, and black pepper in a shallow dish. Coat both sides of fish with cooking spray. Dredge fish in crumb mixture, pressing gently to coat.

Arrange fish in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of fish with cooking spray.

Bake at 400 degrees for 21 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Secret Ingredient Savvy: You can use 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt instead of the four seasonings, if desired.

Nutritional information per serving: Calories 211 (22% from fat); Fat 4.9g (sat 1.2g, mono 1.5g, poly 1.5g); Protein 28.9g; Fiber 0.3g; Chol 99mg; Iron 0.9mg; Sodium 471mg; Calc 28mg

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oven-Fried Catfish (Southern Living) new
      #291275 - 11/25/06 08:48 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Mmmm, this sounds good. Where do you find safe cornflake crumbs? I've been feeling lazy so I looked for bread crumbs etc. at the grocery store, but everything had dairy in it. I used to just buy plain cornflakes and smush them but the cornflakes have HFCS now.

When I eat fish (which isn't as often as I should), I use Alaska pollock, cod, and tilapia -- they're all low-fat and don't taste too "fishy". I've never had catfish and suspect that I wouldn't like it -- catfish has always just looked really evil to me.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Oven-Fried Catfish (Southern Living) new
      #291284 - 11/26/06 08:24 AM
Sand

I finished off the corn flake crumbs when I made this but luckily we recyle carboard so I could fish the box out of the recycling bag.

I used Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs. They contain HFCS as the 4th ingredient and some stuff that looks like a science fair chemistry experiment, but nothing I can readily identify as dairy. (At this point my philosophy with regard to HFCS is to avoid it as much as possible but not make myself nuts over it.)

The white part of the catfish fillet is absolutely wonderful - a very unfishy almost "sweet" fish. My problem is that the side the skin used to be on is usually left with some discoloration and that side tastes muddy to me. I end up scraping that away which is a pain in the neck at the dinner table - and probably not very pleasant for my fellow diners.

I have to agree that an actual whole catfish looks like something out of a mutant monster movie.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Ugly...but so good! (m) new
      #291288 - 11/26/06 08:31 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Just don't get the ones with the heads still on.

Is that bottom part that you scrape off safe? I've always wondered if that was considered "skin" and maybe too much fat added.

I rhought catfish had more fat than this too. I'm glad it's lower than I thought.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

What about that skin? new
      #291426 - 11/27/06 10:29 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do you guys worry about it?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Sand - have you ever made new
      #291433 - 11/27/06 11:20 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Heather's fried catfish from EFI? I love that recipe, and was wondering how it compared to this one.

Corn Flake Crumbs new
      #291434 - 11/27/06 11:25 AM
*Melissa*

This is the brand I like to use:

web page

I found it at my regular grocery store, in their "natural foods" section. It makes great oven fried chicken!

Re: Sand - have you ever made new
      #291440 - 11/27/06 12:08 PM
Sand

I'd actually forgotten all about Heather's recipe. I know I've made it - I've got a jar in my fridge labelled "Heather's Cajun Seasoning" and every time I see I it I say to myself, "I have to remember to figure out which recipe I made that for". Of course, I never remember to do that once my head is out of the fridge.

I'm sure we liked it, but I don't remember it clearly enough to compare the two. I'll have to try Heather's again.

--------------------

Re: Sand - have you ever made new
      #291444 - 11/27/06 12:14 PM
*Melissa*

Well, I'm glad I could help refresh your memory! lol

I'm craving it now, thanks to this post. I'll have to make it again soon. With some peas. And sweet potatoes. And corn bread. OK, I'm ready for dinner!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4876

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review