#290852 - 11/21/06 12:28 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi All,

Made this a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty good, so I wanted to share:

Turkey Stuffed Peppers:

2 Green Peppers
Ground turkey breast (could use ground chicken)
1.5 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
1/4 cup of diced onion
3/4 cup of cooked rice, any kind (could also try using instant rice, but I never have success with instant rice so avoid it)
1/4 cup of chopped mushrooms (can omit if you don't like them)
1 can of plain tomato sauce
Dried Basil
Dried Oregano - I am not a big measurer with this stuff, so I couldn't say... Maybe a tsp of each?

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut out the top of the pepper and take out seeds. Drop into boiling water for five minutes.
Combine raw turkey meat, onions, garlic, cooked rice, chopped mushrooms and spices into a bowl. Mix well. Add enough sauce to make the mixture fairly wet, keep the rest on the side.
Stuff mixture into peppers.
Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
Place peppers carefully into a baking dish and bake in the oven for one hour, or until turkey is completely cooked.

Notes: I used Green Peppers, but I'm sure any peppers would do. I also just used plain store brand can of tomato sauce, but I'm sure tomato pasta sauce or anything else would have a little more flavour.
Also, I might try next time to cook the turkey a little bit first with the onions and garlic and spices to see if I can cut down the baking time 'cause it took ages.

Just wanted to share!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Turkey Stuffed Peppers new
      #290883 - 11/21/06 03:50 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yum. I haven't had stuffed peppers in ages. When my mother made them she would brown the meat, onion, garlic beforehand, then mix with cooked rice, seasonings, tomato sauce and so on. Basically everything was cooked except the pepper. I've also heard you can parboil the peppers beforehand, too - the peppers themselves can sometimes take forever to bake.

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Turkey Stuffed Peppers with Sauce new
      #317838 - 11/02/07 01:19 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made a version of this that turned out well so I thought I'd pass it along. It's based partially on Stephie's recipe, partly on the one in my Fannie Farmer Cookbook, and partly on how my mother used to make these.

Depending on how big your peppers are and how much rice you add, you may well have left-over stuffing. You can freeze the extra and use it to stuff more peppers later.

Stuffed Peppers
Serves 2

2 Green Peppers
2 teaspoons of olive oil or use Pam
1/2 of a medium to large onion, diced
1/2 pound ground turkey breast
1 plum tomato
1/2 to 3/4 cup cooked rice
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
2 generous teaspoons dried basil
2 generous teaspoons dried oregano

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut out the top of the pepper and take out seeds. If the pepper will not stand up, cut a very thin slice off the bottom so it will do so.

Drop the peppers into boiling water for five minutes. Remove from water and let drain upside down.

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add the ground turkey and cook lightly for 5-10 minutes until it is no longer pink.

Add tomato, rice, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and combine thoroughly.

In a bowl, combine the two cans of tomato sauce with the basil and oregano. Stir about 1 cup of this mixture into onion-meat-rice mixture and blend well.

Place the peppers into a shallow baking dish. Stuff with the onion-meat-rice mixture. Pour the rest of the sauce over the peppers.

Bake at 350 degrees for at least 45 minutes or until the filling is piping hot. To test the filling's temperature, insert a dinner knife into the center of the filling and see if it comes out hot.

You can prep this ahead of time. Parboil the peppers and set aside. Prepare the onion-meat-rice mixture and refrigerate. When ready to cook, stuff the peppers with the meat, pour the sauce over, and bake.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (11/02/07 02:13 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review