All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Less than 2 weeks until US Thanksgiving new
      #290188 - 11/15/06 10:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry the soup didn't work out - I guess it's a good thing you tried it beforehand. There are some butternut squash soup recipes on the Index you could try - I haven't made any of them so I can't make a personal recommendation. I do like the Smoky Sweet Potato Soup from Heather's cookbook and the newsletter. It's not squash or pumpkin but the color would be right.

If I were doing a main dish, though, I'd probably look at stuffed squash of some kind, like butternut. They look so festive. I don't have a specific recipe, but I think there are a couple on the Board.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Less than 2 weeks until US Thanksgiving new
      #290196 - 11/15/06 12:20 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Let me know if you find a good pumkin or squash soup, okay? I like thick too!

Maybe the post Shell Marr just bumped up for squash and pears?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

okay, so I am actually going to cook dinner ... new
      #290575 - 11/19/06 08:26 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

since I was suddenly infused with a dosage of Holiday Guilt.

A whole turkey would be way too much for us, plus I am traumatized at the thought of neatly-wrapped internal organs. So I bought just a turkey breast. Unfortunately they were all prebasted/preslathered/whatever and the safest one I could find still had MSG in it. I'll have to eat the meat from the center and hope for the best.

The turkey breast is small enough I am considering cooking it in the crock pot, which seems awfully blasphemous, but sometimes blasphemy is just too convenient to pass up.

So besides the turkey I will be making safe mashed potatoes -- I usually make garlic mashed potatoes. I boil the potatoes in chicken broth with a bay leaf or two and garlic cloves, and when the potatoes are mushy and most of the broth has cooked away I mush it all up and add a bit of margarine and garlic salt with parsley. Mmm.

For my husband with the cast-iron stomach, we'll also have stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I am debating whether or not to make a dessert that I can eat. (I don't like pumpkin pie so I didn't bother making a safe one that I could eat.) I've sort of been craving cake with lots of frosting. Not very Thanksgiving-ish, I know. Maybe I could dye the frosting orange.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: okay, so I am actually going to cook dinner ... new
      #290592 - 11/19/06 12:10 PM
Sand

So how do you cook a turkey breast in the crockpot? (It doesn't sound blasphemous to me. I'm sure if the Pilgrim Mothers had crockpots they would have used them.)

Your garlic mashed potatoes sound wonderful - and really simple.

As for dessert, I think apple pie is almost as Thanksgiving-y as pumpkin pie, so if I may be excused a little self-promotion, you could consider the Norwegian Apple Pan Pie I posted. (I know it's not cake with lots of frosting.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: okay, so I am actually going to cook dinner ... new
      #290599 - 11/19/06 01:20 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm not sure how I'd cook the turkey if I did do it in the crockpot. Probably just in chicken broth since my husband doesn't like herbs with turkey.

I'm actually not much of an apple pie fan since I don't like cooked fruit. I've used the pan pie recipe several times, though, but usually only with pears. (I chop the fruit up really tiny to avoid the cooked fruit effect.) It's definitely good, but I am just not feeling fruit-ish. I'm kinda thinking of taking extra Zantac and making Junior Mint brownies.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I actually have a recipe for crockpot turkey breast.... new
      #290604 - 11/19/06 02:02 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've never tried it, but maybe you can use it as a guideline for yours....

From Betty Crocker New Slow Cooker Meals (September 2001)
Savory Turkey Breast
Prep: 15 min Cook: 9 hr

6 1/2 lb bone-in turkey breast, thawed if frozen
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 dried bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/2 cup water (could prob use 1/2 cup chicken broth instead of the water/bouillon granules)

1. Remove gravy packet or extra parts from turkey breast. Place onion, celery and bay leaf in cavity of turkey. Place turkey in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.

2. Sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper. Mix bouillon granules and water until granules are dissolved; pour over turkey.

3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 9 hours or until juice of turkey is no longer pink when center is cut. Remove bay leaf. Serve.

HTH

Re: I actually have a recipe for crockpot turkey breast.... new
      #290606 - 11/19/06 02:09 PM
Sand

Sounds good and very simple - and I bet I could put whatever I wanted in the cavity. I usually do onion and sage. Hmm. I wonder if the skin browns up nicely?

--------------------

skin new
      #290627 - 11/19/06 04:45 PM
*Melissa*

I doubt it...crock pots don't seem to have great browning ability! (Probably their only downfall, IMO ) If I was making it, I'd probably take the skin off before making it anyway. I leave it on in the oven to keep it moist, but doesn't seem like there's much need for that in a crock pot. And, no sense having it sit in all that "fat juice".

Re: skin new
      #290630 - 11/19/06 05:09 PM
Sand

I didn't think of taking the skin off. You're right, it does seem like it wouldn't be necessary in a crockpot - and removing the skin would certainly cut down on the fat in crockpot liquid. Hmm. I'll have to see if Joe would be okay with "naked turkey" for Thanksgiving.

--------------------

Naked turkey! LOL new
      #290636 - 11/19/06 05:22 PM
*Melissa*

You could always tell him he could have "dressing" on the side! LOL OK, corny, I know....but I couldn't resist!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20480

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review