All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spring Chicken with Leeks and Peas; Lemon Rice (Rachel Ray)
      #288694 - 11/01/06 12:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Another recipe from 365: No Repeats by Rachel Ray, copyright 2005. I drastically reduced the oil/butter in this recipe. It's yummy and a little different.

Spring Chicken with Leeks and Peas
(Served with Lemon Rice)
Serves 4

2 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup white rice
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil or combination of olive oil and safe margarine {I used all olive oil}
1-1/2 to 2 pounds chicken breast tenders {I used 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts} cut into large bite-size pieces, about 2 inches
2 medium leeks, trimmed of tough tops and roots
1/2 cup dry white wine or substitute chicken stock if you do not have wine on hand {I used wine}
1 10-ounce box frozen tender green peas
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped {I omitted}

Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a small pot. Stir in the rice and lemon zest. Return to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for 17 to 18 minutes, until tender.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Add the chicken to the pan and saute until lightly golden on both sides, 4 minutes. {I cooked a little longer.}

Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then slice into 1/2-inch half-moons. Place the leeks in a colander and wash under cold running water, separating the layers and releasing all the grit. You can also place the sliced leeks in a large bowl of cold water and swish them around like a washing machine. The grit will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Drain the leeks well and add them to the chicken.

Cook the leeks with the chicken until they wilt down, 3 minutes or so. {I cooked a little longer.} Add the white wine to the pan and scrape up any pan drippings. Add the peas and heat through, another minute or two.Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the lemon juice over the chicken and leeks (Juice the fruit with the cut side facing up, keeping the seeds with the lemon rather than in the chicken.)

Fluff the rice with fork. The zest in the cooking liquid will have infused the rice with lemon flavor. Add the parsley and toss the rice to combine.

Place the chicken and leeks on dinner plates and top with a small mound of lemon rice.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spring Chicken with Leeks and Peas; Lemon Rice (Rachel Ray) new
      #288709 - 11/01/06 03:12 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

This sounds so good. I love Rachel Ray. Her show comes on at 6 PM in my area (so cal) and dh isn't usually home until 7 so I watch as I cook dinner. Then I always wish I was having what she is cooking rather than what I cooked! Some of her recipes get to be a little far fetched (I guess if I had to come up with something different every single night, mine would be too), but I do like her approach. How many bottles of EVOO do you think she goes through in a week?

Re: Spring Chicken with Leeks and Peas; Lemon Rice (Rachel Ray) new
      #288711 - 11/01/06 03:30 PM
Sand

Quote:

How many bottles of EVOO do you think she goes through in a week?

Too many. I finally realized that a lot of her recipes were workable for me if I just cut the oil by about 90%.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

would this be bland/pointless if you took out the lemon? -nt- new
      #289077 - 11/05/06 01:43 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Not at all (m) new
      #289081 - 11/05/06 02:11 PM
Sand

I didn't really taste the lemon zest in the rice although Joe said he did. And there are enough other flavors in the chicken that I don't think you'd miss the lemon juice - again I'm not entirely sure I tasted it.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7501

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review