All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Focaccia Bread
      #28788 - 11/24/03 05:59 PM
paininthebumper

Reged: 11/06/03

I tend to label recipes I've tried with the date and some brief reminder of how it "went over" with the family. This one says simply phenomenal! Admittedly some of the ingredients may require searching out, but this one is worth it! I use this along with meals and then enjoy the leftovers for sandwiches. It is a wonderful recipe for those of us who cannot indulge in too much wheat flour bread (causing for me the dreaded "c"...ARG!). Anyhow...

Focaccia (Original recipe from Bette Hagman, the Gluten Free Gourmet, all modifications thanks to these boards )
2t. sugar
1c. lukewarm water
2 1/4 t. yeast (or 1 pkt.)
1c. rice flour
1/2 c. tapioca flour
1 1/2 t. xanthan gum
1T. minced onion
1 t. fennel seed
1/2 t. salt
2 egg whites
1 T. olive oil, plus additional to "drizzle"
onion salt or powder
2T. "safe" Parmesan cheese substitute (or omit)
Optional: thinly sliced sundried tomatoes, roasted red bell peppers, onions, olives or any ole thing your heart desires.

1. Spray 10x15 or 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
2. Mix sugar in water, add yeast, set aside.
3. Whisk together rice & tapioca flours and xanthan gum, minced onion, fennel and salt, set aside.
4. In med. size mixing bowl, blend egg whites, 1T. oil and yeast mixture. Add the flour mixture and beat or mix vigourously for 2 min.
5. Pour the thin dough (yes, this is right) into prepared pan and spread to cover.
6. Dribble top with oil (the original recipe calls for 2T. for this purpose, I use 1). Sprinkle with dash of onion salt or powder and any optional very thinly sliced veggies.
7. Cover and let rise 20-25 min for rapid yeast, 40-45 min. for regular yeast.
8. Preheat oven to 400, Bake 20-25 min or until slightly browned. Cut in squares to serve. Makes ~12 slices (unless of course you like your pieces nice and big Enjoy, Diane

This bread is best fresh, therefore I like leftovers lightly warmed in the toaster or toaster oven, the micro will make it tough and unpleasant.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks! This is something I miss eating... but no more! -nt- new
      #28792 - 11/24/03 06:50 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: Focaccia Bread (Thank YOU!!!) new
      #28801 - 11/24/03 07:14 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Being wheat sensitive this sounds, well, to die for. Thank you so much.

Does Bette happen to have a recipe for a wheat free carrot cake that DOES NOT have pineapple in it? (Oh yes, and that does not use a bean flour either.) I can always adapt it to make it low fat if it lists a ton of oil, which most of them do....
I've been meaning to get a book or 2 of hers. Any recommendation as to which one?
Kandee

--------------------

#28805 - 11/24/03 07:22 PM
Shanna

I love carrot cake.... yummmmyyyyyyyy!!!!! Can you eat the recipe in Heather's book... maybe substituting unacceptable flour forms for rice flour or another alternative? If so, I have a "safe" creamcheese recipe.... my mouth is watering!

--------------------

Sure I can eat it...It's great...but looking for a Carrot cake recipe without pineapple... new
      #28841 - 11/25/03 12:41 AM
Kandee

Off the "bread thread" I know, but thought if anyone had a low fat carrot cake recipe handy that DIDN'T call for pineapple they may be willing to post it here and save me the time searching for one. Flour substitutions are not a big problem. I've been subing them for so many years that it comes as second nature to me. I just thought that the BH books may have a different take than what I would normally do. However, thanks for the suggestion Shanna. You're always trying to be so helpful and it's greatly appreciated. I hope that boyfriend of yours knows what he's got, and trys to snap you up, muy pronto!!! Kandee

--------------------

#28968 - 11/25/03 01:59 PM
paininthebumper

Reged: 11/06/03

Oh goodie a project! I love delving into the ole cookbooks Just jumped on quick to check mail and such, I will investigate your request and get you the specific titles of my favorite Hagman books. I'm so glad you can benefit from the foccacia, it is sooo yummy! Diane

Kandee -- read this... new
      #29003 - 11/25/03 05:36 PM
Shanna

I cut and pasted what you wrote and sent it to my b.f. in an e-mail... sort of as a joke. He wrote back with a grin and "is that a hint?" ME? HINT? NOWAY... haha. Anywho, many thanks for your kind words!

As for carrot cake, I have two ideas for you. The first is to try the one in Heather's books (Brer Rabbit Carrot Cake). The second idea is to use the one I have posted below -- it will turn out well -- it's yummy!

IBS Friendly Carrot Cake

8 egg whites
1/2c + 2 T canola oil
1/2c + 2 T natural, unsweetened applesauce
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2 In a large bowl, beat together egg whites, applesauce, oil, white sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended.
3 In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4 Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until blended.
5 Stir in carrots, fold in pecans, and then pour into prepared pan.
3 Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. Let it cool in pan for 10 minutes. Next, turn it out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

Let me know if you like it...

--------------------

Thanks for posting Shanna. I'll give it a try. new
      #29024 - 11/25/03 10:12 PM
Kandee

This one sounds great and just about what I'm after, so I'll try it. I will leave out the nuts or put some coarsely ground almonds in instead of the pecans. I may even try it with 1/3 cup oil instead of the amount called for, just to see what happens. I contend half the reason traditional carrot cake is so good IS from all the oil!!!

I'll let you know how it comes out....thanks again for posting
I made one about a year back using only applesauce. What a disaster. The applesauce made it weep continously... I think, from now on, when a recipe calls for applesauce I'll use either baby food applesauce or apple butter. The results always seem to be better.

Shanna, with your looks and brains and personality that B/F should be catering to your every wish!!!!!

Have a great Thanksgiving...............Kandee

--------------------

#29025 - 11/25/03 10:23 PM
Kandee

Hi Diane,

Thanks a million... Please, by all means start "delving" away. I'm interested in knowing which BH books are worth getting. And don't forget to post another good wheat free recipe now and then ok?

I'll give Shanna's carrot cake a try (that she just posted here) but make it wheat free.

You can email me through the profile email address if you'd like.
Are you celiac or just wheat sensitive?
Kandee

--------------------

ha-ha new
      #29032 - 11/25/03 11:14 PM
Shanna

quote: Shanna, with your looks and brains and personality that B/F should be catering to your every wish!!!!!

you are so full of nice things to say!

let me know how the carrot cake turns out... i hope you like. *mazel*

catering to my every need? ha! that would require a private jet and a chocolate factor...

Your great, and you deserve all the happiness in the world...

Happy Thanksgiving!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review