All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Casein and whey won't be in the ingredients, but they're there... new
      #28317 - 11/21/03 02:49 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

AWESOME! Thanks, Heather. What do you use to drain your yogurt?

Really, wonderful tips!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Draining yogurt...
      #28318 - 11/21/03 03:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

sounds like a pain, but it's really effortless. Just take a fine mesh strainer and line with cheesecloth or paper towels, set it over a bowl, and spoon the yogurt into the strainer. Cover the whole thing with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight. The liquid will drain into the bowl, and the yogurt will scrape right off the paper towels very easily - it's not even messy.

I love using it as "cream cheese" in desserts - check the old Valentine's day brownie recipe here web page

Works great for tiramisu too, which I make with angel food cake.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Draining yogurt... new
      #28329 - 11/21/03 06:42 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Heather,
I would love your tiramisu recipe as that is one of my favorite desserts!
Joan

Re: Draining yogurt... new
      #28333 - 11/21/03 07:38 PM
Shanna

me too! it is one of the recipes I really miss.

--------------------

Still working on it... new
      #28346 - 11/21/03 09:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

each time I make it I want to make a few changes and try it again. Plus, it makes a huge pan full and unless I have other people to eat it, it's too much for just Will and me.

You can play around with the basics, though - it's pretty hard to mess up.

Cut 1" thick slices of angel food cake and layer in a big baking pan. Drizzle with a combination of decaf coffee or espresso I don't use too much, just enough for the flavor), rum/brandy/kahlua, water, and brown sugar. I sometimes add some unsweetened cocoa powder to the liquid too. I make about two cups of the liquid - mostly water with the coffee/liqueur for a good flavor. Drizzle over the cake, and spread with the drained yogurt (which I add a little sugar to, and vanilla). It's also yummy to blend half yogurt with half soy cream cheese. Then top with more cake, drizzle, yogurt. Finish with a light dusting of the unsweetened cocoa. Cover and chill overnight.

Wish I had more specific proportions here - I'm still playing around so I don't have a written recipe yet. But experimenting has been fun.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Still working on it... new
      #28354 - 11/21/03 10:48 PM
Shanna

Heather,
Do you find that the alcohol and coffee bother your IBS? Or it the amount small enough that it isn't detramental?
Sounds yummy! I really appreciate all of your great advice and (OF COURSE) recipes... which I have been sharing with my non-IBS friends, as well. ) They're that good!

--------------------

Re: Still working on it... new
      #28409 - 11/22/03 02:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

The coffee is a super small amount - I'd guess about 1 T of the instant decaf stuff, which is then distributed over the whole pan of tiramisu (the pan is huge - it's bigger than a 9 x 13" pan, so it makes a couple dozen servings). Same thing for the alcohol - the amount you're actually eating in a serving size is really small. And the angel food cake gives a really nice base to the whole thing. I've eaten this on an empty stomach with no problem at all.

- H

--------------------

#64949 - 04/26/04 06:49 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

"Draining any kind of yogurt is a great way to get it even thicker, and work as a substitute as sour cream. I like doing this with Silk plain soy yogurt - if you let it drain overnight, it can get as thick as cream cheese."

I grew up on homemade yogurt and drained yogurt spread, and I miss it more than anything. I can have a bite now and then, but I can't have it for breakfast like I used to. I tried making it with plain soy yogurt (my method is hanging it in a cheesecloth bag from a cabinet over the sink, overnight), but the texture was just wrong. Somehow it was too gelatanous -- it jiggled and wiggled just too much, and it was way sweet. Any tips on taking care of that and approximating a real yogurt flavor?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#64963 - 04/26/04 07:35 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

What kind of soy yogurt were you using? Because that can make sooo much of a difference. I've tried a few that were disgusting and a few that I loved. My favorites are Silk and Whole Soy. It might be worth trying with a different brand.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Casein and whey won't be in the ingredients, but they're there...
      #64969 - 04/26/04 08:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I can't remember now what kind of soy yogurt I tried. I really think it was Silk but I can't be sure -- it was September, and I gave up after that. I'll try Whole Soy and see if that is tart enough for my taste. I can't stand sweet yogurt.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review