All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zucchini Casserole
      #280656 - 09/01/06 02:11 PM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Does anyone have a recipe for Zucchini casserole?

Marilla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zucchini Casserole new
      #280663 - 09/01/06 03:22 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have one that calls for zucchini, tomatoes, onions, garlic or garlic powder, and bread crumbs. If you'd like it, I'll be glad to post it. Fair warning: I haven't made it yet.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Zucchini Casserole new
      #280699 - 09/02/06 06:41 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Hi Sand, Yes I would love to have this recipe. Thanks so much...

Marilla

Zucchini and Tomato Casserole (for Marilla) new
      #280702 - 09/02/06 08:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This recipe is from The I Never Cooked Before Cookbook by Jo Coudert, copyright 1963. I haven't made it, so if you do, please let me know how it comes out - I keep looking at it. It looks IBS-safe except for the butter - I have some thoughts on what to do about that at the end of the recipe.

Zucchini and Tomato Casserole

2 Tablespoons butter, plus more to coat casserole (see Notes)
1 sliced clove of garlic or garlic powder
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup bread crumbs
1 pound zucchini squash
2 tomatoes, sliced
Salt, pepper

1. Melt butter in a skillet with 1 sliced garlic clove or a good sprinkling of garlic powder. Cook 1/2 cup of chopped onions in the butter until transparent. Turn off the fire and turn on the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Add 1 cup of bread crumbs to the skillet and mix well so that the crumbs absorb the butter.

3. Wash the squash and slice into 1/4-inch pieces.

4. Butter a baking dish, and put in a layer of sliced zucchini, then a layer of tomatoes, then a layer of the bread crumb mixture, putting salt and pepper on each layer as you go. Repeat the layers until everything is used up, ending with a bread crumb layer.

5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes.

Notes:

For the butter to grease the casserole, you can use cooking spray instead. The butter to saute the onions is trickier, because it also serves to moisten the bread crumbs. I'd use a little olive oil (maybe 2-3 teaspoons) to saute the onions, but you could also use a safe butter substitute or even cooking spray instead - just be sure you're working with a non-stick skillet. Then, when you get the bread crumbs into the skillet, add a little chicken broth, vegetable broth, or even wine (I'd think white) to moisten the crumbs a little. I'd say use enough broth or wine to make up for however much butter you didn't use. So if you use cooking spray, try 2 Tablespoons of broth or wine. Also, if you use cooking spray to cook the onions, you might want to spray the top of the casserole with a little cooking spray before you put it in the oven - that will help the crumbs brown.

Enjoy!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3743

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review