All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peach Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust-Can this be modified?
      #279254 - 08/21/06 08:52 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I really want to try this recipe. Can you guys help me make it IBS safe? Can I just sub tofu for the cream cheese & soy sour cream for the regular stuff?

Crust
25 gingersnap cookies (about 6 ounces), coarsely broken
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Filling
4 small peaches (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled, pitted, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Glaze
1/2 cup peach preserves
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 large peach, peeled, pitted, very thinly sliced

For crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grind gingersnaps in processor to coarse crumbs. Add butter and blend until evenly moistened. Press crumbs over bottom and 1 inch up sides of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Bake crust until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Cool on rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

For filling:
Combine peaches, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice in heavy large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and peaches are juicy, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until peaches are tender and juices thicken, about 5 minutes. Cool compote.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until fluffy. Gradually add 1 1/4 cups sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. Spoon half of cheese mixture (about 3 cups) into crust. Spoon peach compote over by tablespoonfuls, spacing apart. Top with remaining cheese mixture.

Place large piece of foil on oven rack. Place pan with cheesecake on foil. Bake until puffed, set in center, and beginning to brown, about 1 hour. Place hot cheesecake on rack; cool 5 minutes. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen. Place cheesecake, uncovered, on rack in refrigerator and chill overnight. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; keep chilled.)

For glaze:
Combine preserves and lemon juice in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until glaze comes to simmer. Strain into small bowl. Release pan sides; place cheesecake on platter. Spread glaze over top of cheesecake to within 1/4 inch of edge. Chill cheesecake until glaze sets, at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours. Arrange peach slices in center of cake and serve.

Makes 12 servings.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Some ideas new
      #279301 - 08/21/06 10:45 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

You can just sub soy ingredients, but it will still be super high in fat, which is also dangerous for IBSers. I would recommend possibly subbing tofu in place of half of the soy cream cheese, and possible drained soy yogurt in place of the soy sour cream (see Heathers tips about this here). That would definitely make it much lower in fat. Of course you'd also want to use 1 cup of Egg Beaters or 8 egg whites in place of the eggs. The crust shouldn't be too bad as is, although you could try cutting the soy margarine down to 3 Tbsp and see if it hold together that way. This sounds fabulous... let us know how it turns out!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Some ideas new
      #279315 - 08/21/06 11:14 AM
littlelani

Cool! Thanks for the link, too! I'm going to try to make it this w/end, depends on if I have to work Sat. I'll let you know how it turns out when I make it.

--------------------

Re: More Ideas new
      #279338 - 08/21/06 02:45 PM
mrsbunker

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Minnesota

I made a Pumpkin Cheesecake (I think I got the recipe from here) that just had crushed gingersnaps on the bottom no butter or anything else in the crust. It was really good this way! That would cut down on the Fat, somewhat! The crust did get a little soggy after it sat for a few days. The Tofu seams to separate for some reason, just a characteristic of Tofu, I guess. You can try to find that one to see how it was made & make your peach one in a simlar fashion. I'm at work right now otherwise I would look at it for you.

--------------------
Judy

Edited by mrsbunker (08/21/06 02:49 PM)

Re: littlelani-Peach Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust-modified new
      #279513 - 08/22/06 12:50 PM
mrsbunker

What do you think about this revamp? This is a combination of the Pumpkin Cheese Cake I made & your recipe. I left 2 different ways to bake it I'm not sure which way it should be baked. I was going to leave out the spices but I think It might cover up some soy & Tofu taste. If you try it let me know It sounds kind of good! The Pumpkin One was real good too!
Crust
25 gingersnap cookies (about 6 ounces), coarsely broken

Filling:
4 small peaches (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled, pitted, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Cheese Cake:
12 oz (1 pkg.) Mori-Nu® Silken Tofu - Extra Firm Lite
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 (8-oz. pkgs) SOY cream cheese, at room temperature
1 T. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
6 egg whites

Glaze:
1/2 cup peach preserves
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 large peach, peeled, pitted, very thinly sliced

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8" or 9" springform pan with non-stick vegetable spray.

Crust:
In a food processor or blender, grind gingersnaps until crumbly. Press crumbs evenly over bottom of prepared pan.

For filling:
Combine peaches, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice in heavy large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and peaches are juicy, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until peaches are tender and juices thicken, about 5 minutes. Cool compote.

Spoon half of cheese mixture (about 3 cups) into crust. Spoon peach compote over by tablespoonfuls, spacing apart. Top with remaining cheese mixture.

@ 350 Degrees-Tap pan a few times against counter to break up any air bubbles. Bake 65 minutes until cheesecake puffs and the center is almost set. Transfer to a rack and let cool. To serve, run a knife around the sides to loosen cake. Release the pan sides. Cut into wedges.
OR
@ 325 Degrees-Place large piece of foil on oven rack. Place pan with cheesecake on foil. Bake until puffed, set in center, and beginning to brown, about 1 hour. Place hot cheesecake on rack; cool 5 minutes. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen. Place cheesecake, uncovered, on rack in refrigerator and chill overnight. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; keep chilled.)

For glaze:
Combine preserves and lemon juice in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until glaze comes to simmer. Strain into small bowl. Release pan sides; place cheesecake on platter. Spread glaze over top of cheesecake to within 1/4 inch of edge. Chill cheesecake until glaze sets, at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours. Arrange peach slices in center of cake and serve.

Makes 12 servings.

--------------------
Judy

Edited by mrsbunker (08/22/06 12:51 PM)

Re: littlelani-Peach Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust-modified new
      #279569 - 08/22/06 06:45 PM
littlelani

That is so awesome!! Thank you SO much! I'm not a bad cook as long as I have a recipe, & I was a little worried about "tampering" w/this recipe, but you took care of that for me! Hopefully I'll have time to make it this weekend, if I don't have to work. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thank you again!

--------------------

Made it this weekend-delicious! Peach Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust-modified new
      #280168 - 08/28/06 10:43 AM
littlelani

This is SO good! I made it this weekend & took it to my BF's parents' house for lunch. Everyone loved it! (Well, everyone who wasn't afraid to try it ) My BF wasn't too impressed but he's a die hard New York-style cheesecake fan, so it didn't surprise or bother me. But all the girls liked it! I will definitely make this again! Thank you mrsbunker!!

--------------------

Re: Which way did you bake it? new
      #280200 - 08/28/06 03:40 PM
mrsbunker

Quote:

This is SO good! I made it this weekend & took it to my BF's parents' house for lunch. Everyone loved it! (Well, everyone who wasn't afraid to try it ) My BF wasn't too impressed but he's a die hard New York-style cheesecake fan, so it didn't surprise or bother me. But all the girls liked it! I will definitely make this again! Thank you mrsbunker!!

Your Welcome!
The Pumpkin one was really pretty good too! Not as good as the regular New York stlye Cheesecake, but a pretty good alternative!
Just wondering which of the 2 ways did you bake it? I didn't know how it should be baked so I put both ways down in the recipe.

--------------------
Judy

Re: Which way did you bake it? new
      #280273 - 08/29/06 08:57 AM
littlelani

I used the 350 for 65 mins, but with my oven I had to leave it in for about 5 mins longer. But I didn't have time to cool if long enough, I think it would have been better if it were chilled more. I made it Sund morning & we had it for lunch around 1:30-2pm. Next time I'll make it the day before, but I had to work Saturday. But it was still wonderful!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review