All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tomato and Pasta Salad
      #266733 - 05/31/06 02:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ok... I'm about to start spamming the board with all the salad recipes I have in my file.

1 lb small shell pasta
10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, minced
8 scallions, chopped
1/2 pint yellow grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 pint red grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Cucumber slices for garnish, if desired

Dressing:
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp finely minced garlic
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil - do a search for oil substitute for salad dressings

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Combine with other salad ingredients in large bowl.

Whisk dressing ingredients together until well-combined. Add to salad and toss.

Serves 4 as a main dish - 6-8 as a side.

Nutrition info for 4 servings WITH OIL - obviously, omitting the oil will decrease this: 551 calories, 13g fat

from a Hannaford grocery store handout

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tomato and Pasta Salad - This is wonderful! (m) new
      #271005 - 06/26/06 08:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I had it as a side dish for dinner and the leftovers were still yummy the next day. In fact, I think the leftovers were even a little better.

I made it as posted, except I used all red cherry tomatoes (they were on sale). I did use the full-oil salad dressing. Based on my calculations, that means the recipe still only gets 21% of calories from fat:

Quote:

Nutrition info WITH OIL - obviously, omitting the oil will decrease this: 551 calories, 13g fat

13 grams of fat times 9 calories per gram - 117 calories from fat
Total calories in recipe - 551
117/551 = .21

It did occur to me as I was making the salad and contemplating an avocado sitting on my counter, that this recipe would probably be fabulous with avocado substituted for some - or even all - of the tomatoes. It would bump up the fat content, of course, but it would also then have less IF and more SF. Depending on how much avocado I substituted, I would definitely consider reducing the oil. And with avocado, leftovers might not keep as well.

Thanks, Casey. Another great recipe.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Glad you enjoyed! new
      #271029 - 06/26/06 10:07 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I forgot that I'd even posted this one... I tried it over the weekend, and enjoyed it just as much as you did. I also used all red cherry tomatoes (it's all we can get up here), but I substituted for the oil. I was thinking next time I'd chop cucumber and put it in the salad, instead of using it for a "garnish", but avocado sounds even better yet... thanks for the idea!

Very yummy! new
      #271158 - 06/27/06 09:23 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I made this last night with cornish hens. It was perfect. I also used all cherry tomatoes and I decided that the avacado sounded great so I added that as well. I found that I needed to make a second round of the dressing because it didn't seem like enough. This could be bad for some who tummies couldn't handle it but these baby hormones have relaxed mine alot! Anyways what a great recipe Casey and I am taking the leftovers to my mom's tonight.

Basil! new
      #272524 - 07/05/06 07:49 AM
Sand

We made the Tomato and Pasta Salad again last night, but used basil instead of the parsely - about 3 or 4 Tablespoons chopped. It was insanely good!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

What other dressing could you put on this?-nt new
      #345925 - 05/12/09 07:22 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Tuna! new
      #358576 - 05/12/10 10:22 AM
Sand

I made the pasta-tomato salad with basil as a side-dish for a lunch I went to and had some left over. So I added a can of water-packed tuna to it the next day to make a lunch. It was delicious.

--------------------

Or salmon! new
      #358577 - 05/12/10 01:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've made this pasta and added a small can of red salmon or (even better) a small can of smoked salmon. To die for!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

what dressing did you use?-nt new
      #358631 - 05/14/10 01:33 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Re: what dressing did you use? new
      #358635 - 05/14/10 03:17 PM
Sand

I used the one in the recipe including the oil. As I say in one of my posts in this thread, that level of calories from fat is safe for me.

If you want to use the trick AtomicRose talks about to substitute for oil in the dressing, the recipe for that is here .

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15021

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review