All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Poppy Seed Bread
      #26210 - 11/09/03 07:46 AM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

I am new to this website but love the recipes posted. Thanks for expanding my options. I am asking for help modifying one of my favorite recipes. Here goes:
Poppy Seed Bread

3 c flour 1 1/3 c oil
1/2 t salt 1 1/2 t poppy seeds
1/2 t baking powder 3 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 c sugar 1 1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 c milk
Beat 2 minutes. Pour into 2 greased and floured pans. 350 for 75 minutes.
Glaze:
3/4 c powdered sugar 1/2 t almond flavoring
1/4 c orange juice 2 t melted butter
1/2 t vanilla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Poppy Seed Bread new
      #26253 - 11/10/03 07:21 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Joan! If I were you I would replace at least 1/2 cup of the oil with unsweetened applesauce, and use 6 egg whites (or the equivalent amount of Egg Beaters... 3/4 cup I think) in place of the eggs. I would also use plain soy milk in place of the milk, and instead of "greasing" the pan before you flour it I'd spray it with non-fat cooking spray. Other than that, it looks great! Yum. If you do try it with the modifications, let us know how it goes!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#26343 - 11/10/03 11:38 AM
joanmarie

Thanks Kree. I will try that. Do you think I could replace even more of the oil with applesauce? Have you tried any of the other fruit replacements they sell at the grocery store?
What do you use as a butter or margarine replacement? Sorry I am so full of questions.
Thanks,
Joan

#26387 - 11/10/03 02:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - in general, for most quick breads you can get away with dropping the oil down to 1/4 cup per loaf. Replace the rest with applesauce or any other fruit puree that sounds good to you. This trick works for replacing butter/margarine in quick bread recipes as well. For other baked goods, you sometimes need a solid fat instead of a liquid oil. In these instances, use something like Soy Garden or Spectrum spread, but still keep the overall quantity low.

Check the recipe index for a huge variety of baked goods recipes that will give you lots of ideas for IBS-safe cooking and substitutions.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#26427 - 11/10/03 04:22 PM
joanmarie

Thanks for all the suggestions Heather, I will try them out.
Thanks also for the difference you have made with my IBS. Now that I know about the recipe exchange I will keep up with the recipes.
Joan

#26431 - 11/10/03 04:53 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

It looks like Heather answered your questions a lot better than I could have! I wasn't sure how much applesauce it was okay to sub, so I learned from her post, too. And I wouldn't have known how to answer you about soy margarine, because I can tolerate regular unsalted margarine so that's what I use. I hope you enjoy the recipes! I made Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread last week and it was amazing. I would highly recomment that one!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 426 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3336

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review