All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
inappropriate use of vanilla
      #262079 - 05/07/06 10:21 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

OK, the only milk I have in the house is vanilla soy milk. I wanted to make biscuits for dinner, and this is my only option. I've used vanilla rice milk when it would seem icky (i.e. tuna and noodles, biscuits) -- but rice milk is so watery and blah anyway that I never noticed the vanilla flavor. Has anyone done this w/ vanilla soy milk? I just don't want to go to the time and effort and ingredient use if it's going to be gross. I figured I'd probably add some extra garlic to try and compensate.

I remember Snorkie once saying that she used vanilla soy milk for a macaroni and cheese recipe and it tasted like a macaroni and cheese milkshake, so I'm a bit apprehensive...

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't think the vanilla will work.....~nt~ new
      #262172 - 05/07/06 04:39 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: inappropriate use of vanilla new
      #262212 - 05/08/06 05:41 AM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

I use Vanilla Soy Milk (8th Continent) in my bread recipe all the time and it comes out just fine. I also used it in some rolls I made for Easter and again, came out great!!! Go ahead and use it!

I've done it - new
      #262218 - 05/08/06 06:06 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't go through soy milk fast enough to justify having both plain and vanilla around, and I prefer vanilla, so I use it for ALL of my cooking. Depending on the amount of seasoning in the rest of the recipe, it can work out fine. I add chicken bouillon to it, and that seems to cut the sweetness. The garlic will probably work too - make sure you've got enough salt and pepper in the recipe as well. It's basic, but it balances the vanilla flavor.

I used water instead (m) new
      #262235 - 05/08/06 07:06 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

but I think it would've worked out OK -- the soy milk really tastes more like dirt than vanilla anyway.

The biscuits I made were copy-cat Cheddar Bay Biscuits (from Red Lobster). There is a recipe kinda like this in the index already, but I like this one better:

2 C reduced-fat Bisquick
1/2 C cold water
1/3-1/2 C soy/rice/almond cheddar cheese
1 T margarine OR 2 T light/diet margarine
1/4 t garlic salt w/ parsley
1/4 t Italion seasoning

Mix first three ingredients. Bake at 450 7-8 minutes or until beginning to brown. Melt margarine and mix in seasonings. Brush melted margarine over tops of biscuits.

These are also good w/o cheese (and a lot less fattening).

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I'm guilty of that as well - and for the same reasons... (more) new
      #262290 - 05/08/06 09:27 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

The only time I use up enough soy milk is when I am making something like Heather's incredible banana pudding (pie recipe that we use as pudding). We have to triple that and have the leftovers for the next day or so. It goes fast with my teenage boys and hubby eating it. That uses up the soy milk... but usually -- I just up the savory spices and it all turns out fine. Nobody here complains.

Re: inappropriate use of vanilla new
      #266171 - 05/29/06 09:24 AM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

I stock just plain soy milk, if it calls fer vanilla, I add vanilla to the milk. A

S fer in appropriate use of vanilla...my roommate and I are such vanilla-philes, we are known to take shots of straight vanilla extract.

I am trying to chose something to drink besides water new
      #266379 - 05/30/06 10:53 AM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Does anyone have any ideas, we know colas are not safe, and caffine teas, but what do many of you enjoy drinking that is safe?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4855

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review