All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cooking tip: delectably fudgy low-fat brownies
      #254352 - 03/25/06 05:55 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've seen some complaints about low-fat brownies being more cakey than fudgy... this worked for me, hopefully it'll work for others.

I use a brownie mix, because the trace amounts of dairy don't bother me. Instead of replacing the oil with applesauce, I used SOY MILK. I was mostly just trying it because my applesauce had gone blue and hairy (eww!) and I was too lazy to go buy more. Well, the brownies turned out BETTER with the soy milk - dense and chewy.

Obviously, this is not a fat-free substitution, but it's still quite low-fat and should be good for anyone except those allergic to soy (obviously!).

Be sure to UNDERBAKE them, also. I only bake brownies until the center is set, and a toothpick inserted still comes out with half-baked batter, because brownies continue to "cook" after you take them out of the oven.

Now I have to go put some of these brownies in the freezer so I don't eat the whole darn pan!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cooking tip: delectably fudgy low-fat brownies new
      #254359 - 03/25/06 07:37 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Oooh, that's a wonderful idea...and means I don't have to go out and buy applesauce.

Thanks!

Re: Cooking tip: delectably fudgy low-fat brownies new
      #254420 - 03/25/06 04:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Very cool! Don't you hate how fast applesauce goes bad?!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

YES... which is why I never buy the stuff new
      #254483 - 03/25/06 09:12 PM
atomic rose

I don't *eat* applesauce, just bake with it... so it always ends up being a waste of money for me, unless I buy the little cups... which are so much more expensive that they aggravate me too. LOL!

But yes. Mold is one of the few things on earth that really makes me squeamish - go figure! - and I really just about dropped the jar when I saw how horrible it was. You couldn't even see IN the jar. EW.

can you freeze applesauce? new
      #254585 - 03/26/06 01:58 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I had the same problem, too. I've wondered if it could be frozen, by separating out 1/2 C or 1 C into small freezer tupperware.

Now that I can eat HFCS again, I buy the individual cups ... the cheap store brand has the equivalent of 6 C for $1.29. I'm not sure how many ounces that is, but even so, it's still a lot better than buying a jar for $1.67, only using two cups out of it, and then discovering it's moldy next time I go to use it. I'm hopelessly stingy, but eventually I've had to recognize the economics of reality -- if you have to throw most of something away, it wasn't a better deal after all. I HATE throwing food away, I feel like I am burning dollar bills.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: can you freeze applesauce? new
      #254601 - 03/26/06 04:54 PM
Johana3

Reged: 02/15/06
Loc: Puerto Rico

i freze my applesauce all the time and always turn ok.

--------------------
Thanks God for the new Day .

Applesauce on demand new
      #254607 - 03/26/06 05:29 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

One alternative to buying big things of applesauce and watching them mold up is to just have some apples in the fridge and use them to make applesauce as needed. It's my standard way of getting rid of apples that are too mushy to eat raw. Of course, if you don't eat apples, this might not work - although they do keep in the fridge for a long time.

--AC

yep, i don't see why not new
      #254611 - 03/26/06 05:53 PM
atomic rose

Typically, the problem with freezing fruit is that it turns to mush when you thaw it... since applesauce is already mush, it should be fine.

True... new
      #254612 - 03/26/06 05:56 PM
atomic rose

Know what's funny, though? I really don't like the way applesauce bakes up in certain things - like brownies. Maybe I have sensitive taste buds, but it always seems to give them a funny taste. I was thrilled when the soy milk worked, because it didn't have that "applesauce taste" - they tasted like "real" brownies.

But yeah, that's an excellent applesauce solution, if you happen to really like baking with it, but don't use it quickly enough.

DH hates that taste as well.. new
      #254646 - 03/27/06 05:00 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I may try the soy/rice milk trick at home, maybe he'd start eating my brownies again...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review