All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chicken in Mustard Sauce (and lighter version)
      #247018 - 02/17/06 03:42 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This recipe is from 365:No Repeats by Rachel Ray, copyright 2005.

Chicken No. 14,752 - Chicken in Mustard Sauce

4 6-ounce boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped (from 4 sprigs) {I used 1 teaspoon dried instead}
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) (twice around the pan) {I used 1 Tablespoon}
3/4 cup chicken stock or broth {I used fat free}
3 super-heaping Tablespoons good-quality Dijon mustard
3 super-heaping Tablespoons sour cream {I used soy sour cream}

Season the chicken with the thyme, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the seasoned chicken breasts and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and cover with foil. Turn up the heat on the skillet to high and add the chicken stock and mustard, whisking to combine. Bring up to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 3 minutes.

Whisk in the sour cream and continue to cook until slightly thickened, about 2 more minutes. Serve the sauce over the chicken and accompany with a simple salad {if you can tolerate} and something to sop up the sauce, like cous-cous or bread {I served with rice and bread}.

Notes:

I cooked the chicken longer - it was still pink in the center after 12 minutes, so I reduced the heat, put a lid on the skillet, and cooked it for an additional 5 minutes.

This was very good, but a little too mustard-y for me. Next time, I'll reduce the mustard a little.

Calories From Fat:

With 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, fat free chicken broth, and Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream, the entire recipe has 1409 calories,458 of them from fat, so 33% of calories from fat.

If you substitute Pam for the olive oil, the entire recipe has 1289 calories, 338 from fat, so 25% of calories from fat.

With the addition of rice, cous-cous, and/or bread and a salad, I can tolerate either of those. If you want to go lower fat, there is also a version that uses yogurt:

Chicken No. 14,756 - Chicken in "Lighter" Mustard and Lemon Sauce

Swap:
3 Tablespoons of yogurt {soy} for the sour cream

Add:
3 Tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsely (a small handful), chopped
1 cup couscous, plain or flavored

Prep Change:
Zest the lemon before juicing it

Prepare chicken just as for the original recipe. Once the chicken is cooked, add the chicken stock and mustard to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Prepare the couscous according to the package directions. Let stand for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Finish the sauce by whisking in the yogurt, then the lemon zest and parsley. Serve the sauce over the sliced chicken and couscous.

I don't see why you can't serve this with rice, bread, or whatever instead of couscous.

For this version (ignoring the couscous), with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, the entire recipe has 1379 calories, 393 from fat, for 28% CFF.

For this version (ignoring the couscous), with Pam instead of oil, the entire recipe has 1259 calories, 273 from fat, for 22% CFF.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1031

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review