All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Homemade protein bars
      #245681 - 02/11/06 09:34 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

3/4 cup oats
1.5 scoops chocolate (or vanilla) SpiruTein (or other protein powder)
4 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter

In a food processor (or blender), whiz the oats until they are a coarse flour. Remove about 1/4 cup of the flour and set aside to add in later. Dump in the SpiruTein and turn on the processor for a second until the flour and powder are combined.

Add the peanut butter, a little bit at a time, blending between additions along with the extra flour you set aside, until the mixture has the texture of cookie dough and holds its shape when pressed together (if it's too 'floury', add some water).

Lay out a sheet of waxed paper in a baking pan or on a cookie sheet and dump the mixture on the waxed paper. Pat it out into the desired thickness with your hands (or, put the mixture on a sheet of waxed paper on the counter, cover with another sheet and roll out with a rolling pin then transfer into a pan). Once it's all shaped, cover with another sheet of waxed paper or saran wrap.

Put it in the freezer and chill for a few hours. When it's nicely frozen, chill and cut into 5 bars. Wrap each bar individually in waxed paper. Keep the bars chilled until just before eating, if possible (staying cold helps them keep their shape, however if you're not too worried about that you could also, say, leave them in your bag for an afternoon).

VARIATIONS: try adding a banana or some applesauce to the mix (you'll need to adjust the amounts of the other ingredients accordingly to get the right consistency). Also good would be raisins or other dried fruit, nuts or seeds, dry spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, a shot of vanilla, peppermint, orange or almond extract, etc.

Nutrition content:
*for basic recipe using SpiruTein and reduced fat peanut butter, per bar, when recipe is divided into 5 bars
196 calories
6.5g fat (30% of calories)
22g carbs
4g fiber
12g protein

adapted slightly from stumptuous.com

I haven't tried this yet but if anyone does try it please let me know how it turns out and if it works! The nutritional breakdown is really similar to Luna bars but I doubt these would taste quite as good... they'd certainly be much more gooey and crumbly. My biggest concern though: I know there's already a lot of fat in these and I'm hoping you don't need more peanut butter than what I've got down here to hold them together. So let me know if anyone tries these!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Homemade protein bars new
      #247029 - 02/17/06 06:09 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

This sounds like a great breakfast option for me since I am always in a hurry in the mornings.
Thanks!

Re: Homemade protein bars new
      #247131 - 02/18/06 03:07 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

No problem
Let me know how they turn out if you try them!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review